Decking railings - how close to the edge?

After swimming around in the internet for a couple of hours, the only thing I can find on this topic is along the lines of 'if your deck is over 600mm in height, you need a railing'. My architect can't advise either.

What I can't find is any info on how much level ground is required beyond the deck before a drop. We're planning a deck that has about 600mm to the start of a fairly steep slope that, if the deck were built right up to it, would definitely require a railing.

It's a bit of an 'edge case' but does anyone have any experience of this?

A slope is generally not deemed a fall as the slope would break your fall and slow you down.

I don’t know of any specific dimensions but I would have thought a low level deck then 600mm before a slope would be fine. 
how steep is the slope? Material? Any obstructions on the way down?

Edited by markc

It's a pretty steep slope, formed of boulders and gravel. You might break your fall, but it might break you!

We will be putting a railing up anyway, but I just wanted to know whether there are any regulations surrounding it as I'd like to use horizontal wire railings which we won't be able to if it's an 'official' drop. And also whether building control are likely to want to get involved with it when they visit once the build is complete.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

deck smaller than final size so it drops less than 600mm and not onto a boulder field.

Do you mean that if you come back in from the edge, then you can raise the ground locally, between deck and bank, and get under the suddenly dangerous height?

Yes, exactly what I did at a previous house.  they measured and the ground was 590mm from the deck. everyone happy.