Should I stop this work?

Thanks for all the feedback it really helped. I spoke to the builder about the foundations etc and could tell he was chatting rubbish, he kept changing his story. Telling me one thing & my wife another. Structural engineer came and said the same as what you're all saying. It's basically a dangerous structure and has to come down.

Edited by MattM2021
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MattM2021 said:

Thanks for all the feedback it really helped. I spoke to the builder about the foundations etc and could tell he was chatting rubbish, he kept changing his story. Telling me one thing & my wife another. Structural engineer came and said the same as what you're all saying. It's basically a dangerous structure and has to come down.

Drop the builder now . Can’t be trusted and evidently can’t build ! . Will delay everything but better to get it done properly ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can’t be trusted

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

Will delay everything but better to get it done properly

So that must be comforting, in a way, that your fears are professionally confirmed.

To be sacked Monday morning, preferably confirmed in writing, explaining why.

It is tempting to hope that everything turns out ok, and worry where will you get another builder.

But just imagine living in here with any doubts about the strength and stability.

I have sacked builders on day 1, with little idea where I will find replacements, and the risk of penalties from the client. Without fail the builders say you can't do this and you will be stuck without us. But quality and safety must come first, and it always turned out ok.

Make sure you keep evidence, photos, all this forum discussion and your Engineer's comments (if it is not in writing, transcribe your recollection now before it becomes vague).

Why?

I don't want to worry you, but some builders will claim for money they aren't entitled to, and some can be unpleasant and vindictive. Be ready to counter with strength that you would sue for damages/ demolition/fee or  get police or whatever as appropriate. I believe they see it in your eyes if you have this logic prepared, and they walk away.

Just for interest, and don't answer if you don't want to, have you paid them much?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

So that must be comforting, in a way, that your fears are professionally confirmed.

To be sacked Monday morning, preferably confirmed in writing, explaining why.

It is tempting to hope that everything turns out ok, and worry where will you get another builder.

But just imagine living in here with any doubts about the strength and stability.

I have sacked builders on day 1, with little idea where I will find replacements, and the risk of penalties from the client. Without fail the builders say you can't do this and you will be stuck without us. But quality and safety must come first, and it always turned out ok.

Make sure you keep evidence, photos, all this forum discussion and your Engineer's comments (if it is not in writing, transcribe your recollection now before it becomes vague).

Why?

I don't want to worry you, but some builders will claim for money they aren't entitled to, and some can be unpleasant and vindictive. Be ready to counter with strength that you would sue for damages/ demolition/fee or  get police or whatever as appropriate. I believe they see it in your eyes if you have this logic prepared, and they walk away.

Just for interest, and don't answer if you don't want to, have you paid them much?

Whilst I agree with all the above sometimes you have to be more basic . Sometimes the tradesman ( supposedly ) can get mouthy and confrontational when they realise they aren’t going to get paid . 9 out of 10 times people back down when physical confrontation seems imminent. 
But you always have to assume that 1 in 10 . Not nice , not pretty . But ultimately a fist in the mouth can remedy a situation far quicker - though not his fist in your mouth !!! . ?????

Edited by pocster

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

Not nice , not pretty . But ultimately a fist in the mouth can remedy a situation far quicker - though not his fist in your mouth !!! . ?????

Completely agree. 
We threatened you from afar to get rid of the piss-coloured grout, and nothing. But then when we came around mob-handed to show you we were serious….bingo! 

Glad this shambles got stopped now before it got any further. Time to say “Adios” to Roy and Woody. God help their next victims…… :/ 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

I agree wholeheartedly  ' ... God help their next vicitims ...'

Can't emphasise enough the need to do Due Diligience on everyone - and that means  everyone. Distrust social media profiles, they can be manipulated. As I found out to my cost.

“ The Incredible Tiler “ aka pocster services available. No complaints . 100% satisfaction guaranteed - mine not the customers .