A North Wales dad making a bigger home

Paul Alan

Morning all, 

I have just started a self build and I'm excited and daunted at the same time.

I currently clean windows for a living but in a previous life I was an electrical meter installations engineer working for United utilities.

I also attended college during That time and completed an NVQ2 plumbing.

I have for the last 2 years been an extremely keen hobby woodworker and have learnt much.

We own a 2 bed semi detached home and have had the conservatory taken away and the ground is being taken up to make way for the footings for a 2 story side extension and a single story rear. We are aiming for 750 deep and 600 wide footings, the BC will be in tomorrow to see if that's adequate.  

We have our fingers crossed. We do live in a clay zone.

We originally had 50k for the build which I think would have been tight. After some terrible news from a very expensive solicitor my wife's previous marriage resolution has left us with 30k. Needless to say we're devastated.

We are hoping to be able to build the foundations, the walls and the roof with our budget. Or at least get as close as possible! Then we can chip away at the inside as we find more cash.

I plan to do as much myself as possible.

We have builders quotes but they're way out of budget and they also seem to be giving us a wide berth, ithink it's because we need things doing on a tight budget and therefore we would be probably more awkward than someone who can simply afford to get stuff done.

We have an 8 year old boy who's had a bit of a tough time so far, he's been diagnosed with a genetic deletion. We also have a 15 year old daughter going into GCSE. Me and my wife have been sleeping in the front room for 8 years and it's been taking its toll on us.

I work hard 6 days cleaning windows but I am preparing myself to undertake this build learning what I need to learn and working as hard as I possibly can. I know it's going to be hard, I anticipate mistakes and tears.

I would very much appreciate somewhere to go for advice, I can work so much out myself but realise I'm no builder.

I hope this introduction is well received. 

Many thanks

Paul

• Like 3

Good morning and welcome, don’t forget there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking!!!, there is lots you can do yourself with a little knowledge and help from this forum. I hope your BC passes your foundations (I am on clay as well with ordinary foundations ?). We look forward to your questions and hope we can help with affordable solutions fir you.

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

Plenty of free advice here from some very knowledgable people.

Lots of moral support too, which is undervalued in a self build, whatever the budget.

Also a place to have a laugh and let off a bit of steam.

Best of luck!

Thanks

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Good morning and welcome, don’t forget there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking!!!, there is lots you can do yourself with a little knowledge and help from this forum. I hope your BC passes your foundations (I am on clay as well with ordinary foundations ?). We look forward to your questions and hope we can help with affordable solutions fir you.

Thank you

The diggers have just found the bottom of the house foundations at 1 meter down so I'll have to atleast match that with extension foundation. Unless BC find ohterwise.

I have costed the foundation as best I can, I need to find what to use for 25mm perimeter Edge insulation? And also indeed to find out what type of lintels to use to go above service pipes and cable.

Any advice?

Many thanks 

39 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@Paul Alan Are you doing your own blockwork..

It's very possible , the more I can do the further the initial budget will go. 

I have been introduced to a lad who is currently doing level 2 brickwork in college, he's said he can do some work and also show me the ropes. I know I'll be slow to start with but I imagine I'll end up with a level of competency 

Any tips?

Many thanks 

7 minutes ago, Paul Alan said:

Thanks Mark what is Eps please?

Expanded PolyStyrene. Nothing special needed for upstands. A quick search on here will give a myriad of information regarding the various types of insulation available.

15 minutes ago, markc said:

Expanded PolyStyrene. Nothing special needed for upstands. A quick search on here will give a myriad of information regarding the various types of insulation available.

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the correct term, I searched for perimeter insulation and found something that is used in conjuction with under floor heating which I have no plans for.

I also found some celotex 8x4 boards that you cut to strips.

I'll do a search on here

Many thanks 

50 minutes ago, markc said:

Don't  confuse with Extruded Polystyrene, which is a different, tougher and heavier, thing.

EPS is the stuff they fill beanbags with.

1 hour ago, Paul Alan said:

Thank you

The diggers have just found the bottom of the house foundations at 1 meter down so I'll have to atleast match that with extension foundation. Unless BC find ohterwise.

I have costed the foundation as best I can, I need to find what to use for 25mm perimeter Edge insulation? And also indeed to find out what type of lintels to use to go above service pipes and cable.

Any advice?

Many thanks 

Why 25mm? That's not a lot of insulation.

I'd also argue that 25mm EPS is very fragile to handle. So I would suggest 50mm.

Your call.

F

I have been introduced to a lad who is currently doing level 2 brickwork in college, he's said he can do some work and also show me the ropes. I know I'll be slow to start with but I imagine I'll end up with a level of competency 

That’s very good,  tip no 1, leave the Mortor in the cement mixer a fairly long time to get air in the mix, will make it easier to lay blocks/bricks (I learnt this from my brickie).

42 minutes ago, Paul Alan said:

It's what the architect has specified in his notes

An architect will work to minimum building regulations, while charging extra because they are 'the professional'. 

You really need to do a thermal model.

Now as you like woodworking, have you considered a stick build?

It's what the architect has specified in his notes

Many thanks 

TBH 50mm isn't very much either :-).

IMO 50mm is just the smallest thickness that won't snap when you sneeze on it.

I think one criteria to think about is self-educating enough that you can have nearly equal-to-equal conversations with your 'tect on this sort of issue, so you are confident enough to say "No, I want to do *that*" and explain why to your own satisfaction. So you get to make the mix of compromises you need.