UFH Just ground or both floors or all radiators

NewToAllOfThis

Hi,

looking for views as to best heating solution. We are building an 'Upside-Down' House, bedrooms downstairs, living room and kitchen upstairs.

We are having Gas Combi-Boiler and was initially considering having all radiators, but now wondering if UFH can be downstairs and either radiators or UFH upstairs.

We have limited height upstairs 1.7 metres at edge of rooms and 22mm chipboard has already been laid on the web joists so this cannot be removed.

If we are to have UFH upstairs what is the best way to install that will take up minimal height, will be laying laminate floor throughout 1st floor.

Has anyone mixed UFH and radiators, does it work well?

Ambiente Systems UK do some low profile systems at as little as 18mm buildup. Is recommended their AmbiSolo. I used this over an existing timber floor and have had excellent performance and response times from it. It's good for your floor finish too as it is a self leveling screed based system and therefore will be flat and will spread the heat out well unlike a groved underlay system. 

I had to make sure the timber floor was well sealed so that the screed didn't leak to below but otherwise an easy one to install yourself. I only put 50mm EPS insulation underneath too. Partly due to other restrictions but it works well. 

www.ambienteufh.co.uk

Edited by RHayes

You can def have both UFH and rads quite easily.

I think UFH works well on the ground floor.  In a new house the upper floors tend to need less heat, and if you have Velux or large glazing it may have a fair amount of solar gain so maybe just rads up there as they are simple to control.

When selling, I have found there is no premium for UFH and some buyers can be a bit wary.

• Like 1