Wobbly Barrow

Onoff

I've been and grabbed one of the late FiLs wheelbarrows. Best out of 4. Not saying the metal is thin but if we're talking biscuit tin then they might as well have used the plastic tray that holds the biccies!

First thing I did was ditch the tiddly front wheel and put on a solid, never flat type. Puts the front up and back down like a Capri with sagging leafs but works for me.

20210913_173237.thumb.jpg.faf17a5194e5fec02947207fdf6953ac.jpg

However, fully loaded with soil and the whole bloody thing is live and flexes like mad. 

20210913_173304.thumb.jpg.b59566a6957d1bedbc9c4fcbc7fac908.jpg

It needs bracing. I'm thinking between A and B for a start. I've some donated 70x25x2 box that should drop in there nicely. Was saving that for a router table but I think I've another couple of lengths of it.

20210913_173454.thumb.jpg.5f4485db5c466501901aef7f1ea90315.jpg

Then between C&D, E&F. I can use some of the tonne of 25x25 I've got.

20210913_173550.thumb.jpg.79d117d15270ec837b01fe047dbb1eec.jpg

The barrow frame is 25mm dia so if I Starrett the box it should fit nice and snug.

Sound like a plan? Fire up the MIG...tomorrow maybe!

• Like 1

I take it back. The A to B piece isn't too short!

IMG_20210913_204908192.thumb.jpg.b9cbfc07ab4bd9fcd957dd5237f71136.jpg

On another forum someone suggested an X brace in the form of A to the bottom of D and then B to the bottom of C might be better.

Some fun working those angles/cuts out!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I should have commented earlier.

I bet you could have solved the problem simply by drilling 2 holes and 2 more nuts and bolts, so that the bits coming off the handle were each bolted to the tub in two places, not one.

Yes but he did a Finite Element Analysis and CAD simulation and decided the holes in the handles would create additional stress risers when 62.73kg of soil is loaded at the mid point of the barrow … so welding a massive piece of steel he had to hand was the answer…. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I should have commented earlier.

I bet you could have solved the problem simply by drilling 2 holes and 2 more nuts and bolts, so that the bits coming off the handle were each bolted to the tub in two places, not one.

More piddly little bolts in shear! ?

Tipping loop to be added next, fire up the Hilmor!

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

More piddly little bolts in shear! ?

Tipping loop to be added next, fire up the Hilmor!

Oh didn't notice that was missing. No wonder it was so wobbly.  Whoever "designed" it did a cost analysis to see how much they could remove without the customer noticing.

What's your hourly rate?  How many hours will you have spent on this?  What is the cost of a new builders barrow?

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Oh didn't notice that was missing. No wonder it was so wobbly.  Whoever "designed" it did a cost analysis to see how much they could remove without the customer noticing.

What's your hourly rate?  How many hours will you have spent on this?  What is the cost of a new builders barrow?

Um...this barrow was free, as was the new wheel and bit of steel. 

I've never taken as little as an hour on anything!