Septic tank venting

devonchris

A bit of a long back story this, sorry. Recently had a Vortex 9 installed for our Devon farmhouse. At the same time, I had a separate septic tank installed for a planned shepherds hut. To get PHE to agree to the planning request (for change of use of land, as we want to rent out the hut) we had to change our plans from a composting toilet to a standard WC. After quite a few visits from various companies, I went for the proposal where the liquor (if that's the right terminology?) from the septic tank is pumped along a 32mm pipe into the new Vortex for final treatment before discharge to a watercourse at bottom of garden. I'm sorry, but I don't have the make or model of the septic tank yet, still awaiting the final paperwork, but it was the smallest available and hopefully is identifiable in the accompanying photo. When discussing the project with the company representative, the venting of the septic tank was mentioned and we decided the best solution was to run a subsurface pipe about 5 meters to a wooded border and then install (cable tie to a tree) a vent pipe. This was to remove any chance of smell from the vicinity of the hut itself.

D4F734C2-E877-476C-BB77-9062F223A752.jpeg.2698266de6965af1324e1b69d647785e.jpeg

Unfortunately, I was not on site for the last day of installation. On return I see that there is no vent fitted and now everything is underground apart from the two access covers and a capped inlet pipe. The vent pipe is not individually mentioned on the quote. It just says installation of septic tank and pump.

I've asked the question of course, and been told that the vent should go in on the inlet pipe side, after the shepherds hut has been put in place.

My question is, should the tank have it's own vent, presumably coming off one of the knock outs that were visible on top and should this have been part of the installation process to make the tank safe to use, or will a vent running off the inlet pipe serve to both vent the inside plumbing system and the tank? Apologies for any mistakes in terminology. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...