Anchor bolts and packers

Pocster

6 hours ago, pocster said:

The FFX ones say fixing thickness 6 - 25mm. The RS data sheet says 10mm for them.

On that basis go with the FFX ones.

(Resin is so much easier! Sure you'll waste a bit and go thru a few mixing nozzles until you get the hang. If you were nearer and I didn't have the dreaded Covid lurgi you could have borrowed my gun, brush, puffer etc). 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Onoff said:

The FFX ones say fixing thickness 6 - 25mm. The RS data sheet says 10mm for them.

On that basis go with the FFX ones.

(Resin is so much easier! Sure you'll waste a bit and go thru a few mixing nozzles until you get the hang. If you were nearer and I didn't have the dreaded Covid lurgi you could have borrowed my gun, brush, puffer etc). 

I’ll order the ffx ones ! . Read some bad reviews of the Fischer ones anyway ….

54 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’ll order the ffx ones ! . Read some bad reviews of the Fischer ones anyway ….

Worst case they'll f**k up and spin in the hole. Then, drill out to 14mm, clean the hole...and use resin! ?

Edit: If you can get the spinning anchors out of course. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

For what you are doing then any technology should be ok. 

However, I have experienced expansion bolts/ sleeve bolts coming loose from solid concrete.

This was due to repeated movement which gradually wore away the concrete at the friction point.

It was an extreme case  and unlikely in everyday life.

The cause was schoolchildren swinging and shoving at a safety rail, so several times a day for every school day for a year, and once they saw it was moving they went for total victory.

Replaced with resin anchors in the same holes, and all good.

This concern therefore only applies with repeated movement and stress on the fixing, and probably not to your stairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

However, I have experienced expansion bolts/ sleeve bolts coming loose from solid concrete.

I don't think tentative tiptoeing on bloodied feet will cause much to loosen. I'm referring to those lucky enough to escape, only to be haunted by a lifetime of memories of what went on. (I still wake up screaming).

On a serious note.....I have frequently seen water get in and around the expansion anchor, freeze/thaw etc and go loose. Could be an issue in that side wall. Usual to put a good ring of silicone around the bolt then push whatever you're fixing onto it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pocster said:

Perhaps depth doesn’t matter as they can take a thickness of 50mm . Order these ?

You need 105mm min structure thickness (your wall). Drill a 90mm deep hole etc:

Structure thickness is a critical factor. If you ever look at a load diagram for expanding anchors there's like a conical shaped zone radiating from where the anchor is "gripping" 

Screenshot_20210917-172139.thumb.png.98c0aa1b944aa77a861eee84575ea9ff.png

Says circa 80kg tensile strength, in shear good for X10 that and more.

Go for it.

You just cut the excess stud off with a slitting disc and pop some pretty plastic bolt caps over the nut.

Just now, Onoff said:

You need 105mm min structure thickness (your wall). Drill a 90mm deep hole etc:

Structure thickness is a critical factor. If you ever look at a load diagram for expanding anchors there's like a conical shaped zone radiating from where the anchor is "gripping" 

Screenshot_20210917-172139.thumb.png.98c0aa1b944aa77a861eee84575ea9ff.png

Says circa 80kg tensile strength, in shear good for X10 that and more.

Go for it.

You just cut the excess stud off with a slitting disc and pop some pretty plastic bolt caps over the nut.

Ordered ! ️ for you .

99% sure wall is over 100mm thick ( famous last words ) 

Just now, saveasteading said:

They really do fail with a cone of concrete attached to the bolt.

I recall some sooper dooper Hilti ones I think, used with a special drill bit that cut their own, conical dovetail in the hole.