I have a floor (out the ground?)

Moonshine

This has been a long time coming for my build.

Yesterday me and a helper moved 450 blocks (over 6 tons) into position between my beams.

There are still block cuts to do, drainage, and the brickie to come back this week to do the mortar the edges / vents and grout..... but it feels great to have a solid floor after 5 months of commencement, it's been slow going due the complex basement phasing but hoping things can accelerate now.

20210912_092110.thumb.jpg.e75ed6fe0f4464fdf6a64405590cbffe.jpg

• Like 8

Well my happiness was short lived, the brickie has told me they aren't able to get back to site for 2-3 weeks! FFS, very annoyed.

I have no chance of finding another bricklayer at the moment in that time and feel i am just going to have to lump that delay!

Edited by Moonshine
  • Sad 1

I feel your pain. our brickie couldn't work yesterday as his car had broken down and today he turned up but the groundworker didn't have anyone to labour for him and with his dodgy knee he couldn't do it on his own so he left saying he'll be back tomorrow. I've got the scaffolders coming Monday to start that and the timber frame the following week so I really need to get this done!

good luck and I know how hard it is to swallow those delays and the only consolation I can give is that those 2-3 weeks will whizz by and before you know it it'll all be done and the delay forgotten about.

IMG_1421.jpeg.cd35e50e09329f6e28b42a23b6362efa.jpeg

here's our block and beam finished. but I've been in the basement taking down some of the scaffolding deck that was for fall arrest and noticed that there are a few block that are cracked down the middle! so they'll have to come out and be replaced as well.

nothing is ever simple.

15 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

IMG_1421.jpeg.cd35e50e09329f6e28b42a23b6362efa.jpeg

here's our block and beam finished. but I've been in the basement taking down some of the scaffolding deck that was for fall arrest and noticed that there are a few block that are cracked down the middle! so they'll have to come out and be replaced as well.

nothing is ever simple.

Nice, how are you doing the ceiling in the basement?

My beam supplier reminded me i needed some of these clips, as i need to hand stuff from the beams in the garage

UNICLIP Beam and block ceiling clip 145mm fixing (Box of 100)

4 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Nice, how are you doing the ceiling in the basement?

My beam supplier reminded me i needed some of these clips, as i need to hand stuff from the beams in the garage

UNICLIP Beam and block ceiling clip 145mm fixing (Box of 100)

I hadn't even got that far in my thinking yet! the basement will be the last thing that gets done as the above ground takes priority but I will need to build a false ceiling to conceal the MVHR, plumbing, electrics etc. maybe I should start thinking about it as if I need clips like that there's no way I can install them after I screed on top of the block and beam.

thanks for the prompt.

54 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

maybe I should start thinking about it as if I need clips like that there's no way I can install them after I screed on top of the block and beam.

I was told by the beam supplier that really they need to go in before the blocks are grouted as you can lift the blocks, so i installed them now before the grout has gone in (at 400 ctrs on every other beam)

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

I was told by the beam supplier that really they need to go in before the blocks are grouted as you can lift the blocks, so i installed them now before the grout has gone in (at 400 ctrs on every other beam)

shame no one told me that. I'm sure I'll figure something out!

14 minutes ago, Faz said:

First thing I would do in the morning is get rid of that 'we apologise for the inconvenience' sign' - just makes people think that you actually might give a shit if they complain!

?? ?? ??

This picture was actually taken from out of the kitchen door of my current house, i put it up for my missus (only we can see it)

It is a great feeling, having investment coming out of the ground rather than the earth being a massive money pit!

I'd show our insulated slab which has just bee finished but I can't seem to get a picture in here.  Will try later.

Simon