New build near a river

The ground

Hello everyone.

I'm a newby and I'm looking for sound advice here.

I'm wanting to build a house on a plot of land that is next to the river Calder.

I know I must be at least 8m away from the bank.

Is it advisable to get borehole samples when I've already decided to put piles down?

Are there any houses close by in the same side of the river that have been built recently. If so By knocking on their doors for a chat you could get an idea of the depth of piles they used. 

By doing a site investigation first you would be gaining valuable data which in turn let's the piling company know what depth they expect to hit. If you don't the piling company is just guessing with regards the quote for your job. 

Will these be driven piles? if so the company has to know the depth so that they buy and bring the right lengths.

If bored or vibrated then it is all made on site, but they have to know when to stop.

In short you need a survey unless the information is already available.

As above. Ask the neighbours. Also phone some piling companies.....they gather a lot of information and can at least have a guess at the solution to get you started.

The bore holes are not expensive, and may save you much more in the final account. 

8 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Are there any houses close by in the same side of the river that have been built recently. If so By knocking on their doors for a chat you could get an idea of the depth of piles they used. 

By doing a site investigation first you would be gaining valuable data which in turn let's the piling company know what depth they expect to hit. If you don't the piling company is just guessing with regards the quote for your job. 

…………Or just go to your local Building Control Department who will more than likely have records of foundations of neighbouring houses that you can access as a starting point……