Timber Frame - What would you change?

James1000

Hi

i am seriously exploring timber frame builds after obtaining planning, mainly to manage the budget but also due to contractor availability and speed.

Quotes are coming in but with lots of optional extras, what I’d really like to know from those who have been there done that is - What would you have added or changed if you could do it again?

BTW I’ve had to chase the timber frame companies for quotes (3 of them) ?

I’d make them cheaper 

and more solid 

and I would wait for timber prices to fall 

Just seen an add on FB Someone has 11 Knackered sheets of 18 mil OSB 

Will take £500 ?

Reminds me of The multi finish being sold online at £25 a bag 

Now back down to £5.75 a bag 

Edited by nod
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nod said:

I’d make them cheaper 

and more solid 

and I would wait for timber prices to fall 

Just seen an add on FB Someone has 11 Knackered sheets of 18 mil OSB 

Will take £500 ?

Reminds me of The multi finish being sold online at £25 a bag 

Now back down to £5.75 a bag 

I’m not sure timber will fall much really. 

1 hour ago, DragsterDriver said:

I'm not  convinced anything will fall much. The manufacturers will have vastly improved profits and little incentive to invest in increased production....we will buy their chipboard and timber at some time, when we give up on the price returning to normal.

Norbord, who make Sterlingboard  and Caberfloor have been bought by an even bigger company, West Fraser, and their new owner published this.

• Sales increased 61% from the prior quarter to $3.779 billion • Earnings increased to $1,488 million, or 39% of sales, from $665 million in the prior quarter

I feel we are in their hands.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

Timber has just dropped 46% in the US 

Prices here will drop when demand drops 

We looked at TF for our next build But found them to be far more expensive than traditional 

That was pre Covid Using timber for anything isn’t a great option at the moment 

• Like 1

I’m a carpenter so I can offset my free Labour which is something. At some point people will have to stop having work done, it seems that binary to me? It will come down a touch but a mate owns a multi million timber company and he said don’t expect much. He was scathing of the board companies for choking supply.

With a Highland project and 4 timber mills in the area, I wrongly expected better value.

I spoke to one of the operators, and he said that I'd be better buying Russian cls from the merchants than commissioning them for it.

Quotes confirmed that.

The local timber isn't so strong either as it is too warm and the timber grows fast.

Sterlingboard is made 15 miles away, but is going abroad.(China and US they say)

For larger timbers perhaps the local places will be better, but it seems we are talking small differences. 

Own labour and very strict control of design and waste will be essential. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2021 at 15:03, saveasteading said:

With a Highland project and 4 timber mills in the area, I wrongly expected better value.

I spoke to one of the operators, and he said that I'd be better buying Russian cls from the merchants than commissioning them for it.

Quotes confirmed that.

The local timber isn't so strong either as it is too warm and the timber grows fast.

Sterlingboard is made 15 miles away, but is going abroad.(China and US they say)

For larger timbers perhaps the local places will be better, but it seems we are talking small differences. 

Own labour and very strict control of design and waste will be essential. 

Where in the Highlands are you? we hoping to buy land high up on the East coast, 12Miles South of Wick. When speaking to a local who has built 300 plus houses, he said the cost of materials is scandalous at the moment, his current project in inverness the client is bringing the materials to site via vans at the weekend from Manchester as its cheaper..  I'm thinking similar and using a 7.5T. to assist with the move aswell.

46 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Where in the Highlands are you? we hoping to buy land high up on the East coast, 12Miles South of Wick. When speaking to a local who has built 300 plus houses, he said the cost of materials is scandalous at the moment, his current project in inverness the client is bringing the materials to site via vans at the weekend from Manchester as its cheaper..  I'm thinking similar and using a 7.5T. to assist with the move aswell.

I am just north of Alness.  We did have another member building up your way but he has not been on for some time.

I would be very surprised if you could truck material in from England any cheaper, that sounds rather dodgy to me.

A 7.5t licence is very handy, we used it for the house move up from England and again when I hired a 7.5t flatbed to collect a load of scaffold.

On 12/09/2021 at 08:25, TonyT said:

I would just get a joiner to build it on site

I built mine on site,,i am fortunate enough to have a brother who has a timber frame design business, he produced all the drawings for the panels etc with all dimensions ,,materia and cutting list all i had to do was buy materials and follow the plan

2 hours ago, Bozza said:

think about sound insulation between walls

Warmcell filled all walls both internal and external, personally I'm really happy with this build up - excellent thermal and acousitc insulation properties.  If I ever do it again, I'd be looking to use the same design but I'd leave a lot more room for service voids - things get tight really quickly...

1 hour ago, andy said:

Warmcell filled all walls both internal and external, personally I'm really happy with this build up - excellent thermal and acousitc insulation properties.  If I ever do it again, I'd be looking to use the same design but I'd leave a lot more room for service voids - things get tight really quickly...

Yes agree with Andy 100%.   

Almost no cost during a build to have some empty conduit run through various locations/rooms throughout.  Never know what you might need them for.  I have a few conduits with discreet blank plates running from loft down into cupboards etc on ground floor.  So I know if I do need to do something, I know I’m not going to compromise the timber and insulation, and make a mess doing new cable runs.

Though my layout didn’t allow for it in ideal world would have had a top to bottom / left to right hollow void with access hatches that could take pipes/power/data if required to most rooms.  And to re-enact scenes from Die Hard etc, white vest and all.

On 12/09/2021 at 08:08, James1000 said:

Quotes

Welcome James 1000. 

We are rural near Inverness, so a long south of you. 

Inverness has more merchants than any town I know of its size. We are just getting to know a few. Much as we want to use the local merchant, the prices are not good and we use wickes a lot. 

We are not rushing due to the silly costs which will take, my guess, 3 months to get sensible. Might not though with driver shortage. 

Contractors seem very comfortable, and not into fixed price unless it is a very safe fixed price.