Waiting for 2nd fix, can I fit faceplates myself?

3 hours ago, Olf said:

+1 As long as you follow the colours and do it right, it is a basic mechanical work. The electricians like to charge professional prices for that though.

That's because a decent sparky will only strip enough insulation off as necessary, double back the ends properly maybe, not screw down onto the CPC sleeving instead of the copper etc. 

A novice doing this could make for potential faults needing finding and sorting after the dead tests. 

Saying that some "professionals" make a hash!

• Like 1

Saying that some "professionals" make a hash!

Omg yes. I bought this house about 5 years ago with an electrical safety cert.

While redoing the kitchen and cellar I found the entire house sockets were on two open ended radials. Took me ages to locate the other ends of the rings that had been cut when the extension was built some years before

11 hours ago, Mike_M said:

Hi, I’m waiting for my sparky to come connect the garden office to the house, can I go ahead and fit the faceplates?

Ask your sparky first. A lot will get the hump, quite rightly so as well, if you start cutting and stripping their cables without prior ‘permission’. 

10 hours ago, Olf said:

The electricians like to charge professional prices for that though.

They are damn well entitled too!! Insurance, competent scheme costs, all the gear to keep and update / recalibrate, running a van, paying your taxes, vehicle costs and more. Why would they not charge you when it’s you that asks them to come to do work ? :/ 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, markc said:

Saying that some "professionals" make a hash!

Omg yes. I bought this house about 5 years ago with an electrical safety cert.

While redoing the kitchen and cellar I found the entire house sockets were on two open ended radials. Took me ages to locate the other ends of the rings that had been cut when the extension was built some years before

Could have been a fault on the ring, and the customer didn’t want to pay for fault finding/running in new cable, safest way to make safe is to change to 2 radials

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Could have been a fault on the ring, and the customer didn’t want to pay for fault finding/running in new cable, safest way to make safe is to change to 2 radials

I'm guessing they didn't do this though / fit two separate opds. 

It is not as though you are going to save any money doing this.  It really does not take very long at all for a competent person to strip the wires and connect a socket.  Lighting can be a bit more tricky in so far as it takes a bit more thought to put the right wires in the right places.