Mobile Phone Reception issue?

Get loads of mates around for a beer and have them all check signal strengths on different networks around the house.

The phone can also make big difference sometimes.  We were all on Asda/EE but when Asda switched to Vodaphone my wife's phone didn't work nearly as well as the other three phones we have. 

Regarding boosters. Some are now legal...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/mobile-phone-repeaters-extended-range

Statement published 4 November 2021

Repeaters are devices that can help people with a poor indoor mobile phone signal get better indoor coverage . They work best when there is a good outdoor signal that can be boosted indoors

We have decided to extend the range of static indoor repeaters available for people to buy and install themselves without a licence. In particular, we will allow the use of two additional types of repeater:

provider specific repeaters;

and

multi-operator repeaters.

Both these types of repeater may amplify the frequencies of more than one mobile operator at a time, provided they meet appropriate technical requirements specified by Ofcom.

In order to help the public identify repeaters that can be ‘legally’ used without a licence – rather than ‘illegal’ devices that risk causing interference – we have decided to publish on our website a list of mobile phone repeaters that we understand comply with the technical requirements of our licence exemption regime. We will publish the list in due course.

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2022 at 11:04, joe90 said:

I changed from Tesco (O2) to EE as the reception seemed  better, but alas it’s not that good. No PIR but very rural. I was hoping an external aerial and repeater of some sort would help.

Did you ever sort this out @joe90 did you change phone as well as network. I’m happy to pop round with my iPhone on O2 it works well for us 3G/4g and on Wi-Fi but EE was rubbish here, nearest mast to me is crimp cross. 

23 minutes ago, Susie said:

Did you ever sort this out

No, and now I have finished the house my wife announced she wanted a divorce, lovely judge decided she gets a big chunk despite me funding nearly all of it , and neither of us can live here 🤯 (sorry fir the rant but I am very pi##ed off), oh, and thanks fir the offer 👍

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

• 1 month later...

I read this on an old buildings forum being touted as another reason not to use PIR and didn't think much of it. Seems like it's a growing problem given the majority of mass built housing is insulated with PIR? Perhaps it's less of a problem given the (lack of) care given to installing insulation by these mass builders - I bet the signal can still get through all the gaps in the cavity :)

I haven’t had any issues with the foil backed, entire house has it in the ceilings/roof, for me I noticed the issue in just 2 of my extensions, both of which were built using aircrete/AAC blocks…I assumed it may be to do with the aluminium powder they use when making them to get the bubbles?

18 hours ago, joe90 said:

Perhaps you had a good signal before you installed the foil backed insulation 🤷‍♂️

Yeah its always been pretty decent here, though the mast is at the top of the hill and slightly down other side, i live in the valley, so its not really close as such. Certainly didn't notice any drop in strength. The aircrete definitely kills WiFi though!!

When we moved to the new build, I bought payg SIMs from EE and 3 ~£10 each.  We were on Virgin and knew the signal was crap, so no point checking that one.

Then with an old phone with each of the payg SIMs in I walked round the site and through the rooms with the Mastdata app running, so I could see what the signal looked like.  As it happens EE and 3 were about the same but in different places. As we couldn't get Virgin to supply broadband and were planning on using a 4G router we opted for EE as the data throughput is better (it's more expensive of course). But the phone signal is fine and the 4G modem works well.  This is in a timber frame with 2 layers of foil (inside and outside) and corrugated metal cladding and roof - so essentially a faraday cage!

Simon