Self build in Co Antrim

KillyfadNewBuild

Hi All,

I hope you're keeping well!  I just wanted to introduce myself 'Joe' to the forum as I have been a long time reader and now hopefully getting closer to starting my own build.

The forum is such a great resource for information and the knowledge of the users is simply amazing - I really do appreciate everything I have read here as it has helped me so far on my journey.  I am hoping to learn as I go and all being well, I'll be able to help others as I pass through each stage of the build and gain my own knowledge and experiences.

The house is a two story house with a connection to single story building for the kitchen, dinning and living area which in total is approx 330m2 sitting on 0.8 of an acre.

It will have a ground source heat pump, with underfloor heating on the ground and first floor, mechanical ventilation heat recovery system and a PV solar array with battery.

Windows triple glazed throughout.

The current SAP report

SAP rating: 92 A

Environmental: 93 A

If I have missed anything I will update the above.

All the best,

Joe

• Like 3

'Bout ye

Any plans to share?

Any reason for ground source over air source? You'll find air source will come in about half the cost of ground source.

You'll likely need two mvhrs. Plan for that now.

Give me a shout if you need any recommendations for trades/ professionals.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Conor said:

'Bout ye

Any plans to share?

Any reason for ground source over air source? You'll find air source will come in about half the cost of ground source.

You'll likely need two mvhrs. Plan for that now.

Give me a shout if you need any recommendations for trades/ professionals.

The GSHP is something I have always wanted to have in my house as it's been an idea going back maybe 10 years.

Though through the planned installer, I have visited 5 of their customer's houses who has them in operation, seen a few of their electricity bills and have received great feedback, not just on the heat pump but on our planned provider/installer.  The importance of the provider is so important plus my builder, who I know personally has spoken very highly of the work of their installer.

What's the real shame is the lack of RHI for Northern Ireland as there is no incentive to go down the heat pump route and as you say the ASHP is the cheaper option and without the RHI incentive would takes years of cover the difference.  It might be silly on my part as I am going with heart over brain on this one with the GSHP.

That's an interesting point regarding 2 MVHR systems in the house, I must discuss this with the provider.

Conor, I appreciate the feedback and offer to help, thank you very much.  I also see you have went with Ecology Building Society and you along with others on the forum speak very highly of them.  I actually plan on going with them myself - just waiting on my final costings from my builder to be sent across to submit the application.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

Hi Joe

Welcome from a co down member, there are a few 'locals' kicking about here.

Hopefully you will have picked up we like blogs and photos.

Thank you!

Not long back from staying in Co Down; had an AirBnB stay down beside Ardglass.  Spent all my childhood summers down that way - lovely part of the world.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KillyfadNewBuild said:

The GSHP is something I have always wanted to have in my house as it's been an idea going back maybe 10 years.

Though through the planned installer, I have visited 5 of their customer's houses who has them in operation, seen a few of their electricity bills and have received great feedback, not just on the heat pump but on our planned provider/installer.  The importance of the provider is so important plus my builder, who I know personally has spoken very highly of the work of their installer.

What's the real shame is the lack of RHI for Northern Ireland as there is no incentive to go down the heat pump route and as you say the ASHP is the cheaper option and without the RHI incentive would takes years of cover the difference.  It might be silly on my part as I am going with heart over brain on this one with the GSHP.

That's an interesting point regarding 2 MVHR systems in the house, I must discuss this with the provider.

Conor, I appreciate the feedback and offer to help, thank you very much.  I also see you have went with Ecology Building Society and you along with others on the forum speak very highly of them.  I actually plan on going with them myself - just waiting on my final costings from my builder to be sent across to submit the application.

A house with a SAP of 92+ will have nice and low running costs. Our PV should produce more than we consume (ex car charging and heating). 

You could technically get away with one MVH but it'll be running on relatively high fan speeds. I went for two Salda units from BPC because we have a mezzanine splitting the house in two so we can't run services across it. So one unit per side.

The GSHP will definitely work better in the winter than an ASHP. I'm guessing your installer is Daly?

Who's your architect if you don't mind me asking? Ours (FMK) are from that part of the world.

Free to visit my site any time btw. @dpmillerand @Mr Blobby have both had tours ?

1 hour ago, Conor said:

A house with a SAP of 92+ will have nice and low running costs. Our PV should produce more than we consume (ex car charging and heating). 

You could technically get away with one MVH but it'll be running on relatively high fan speeds. I went for two Salda units from BPC because we have a mezzanine splitting the house in two so we can't run services across it. So one unit per side.

The GSHP will definitely work better in the winter than an ASHP. I'm guessing your installer is Daly?

Who's your architect if you don't mind me asking? Ours (FMK) are from that part of the world.

Free to visit my site any time btw. @dpmillerand @Mr Blobby have both had tours ?

Do you have an electric car yourself? My partner has a Nissan Leaf which is a great wee run about car.  2016 model if a recall so only gets her around 100/120 miles but does all that she needs it for and she loves it and finds it so cheap to run.

Yes, it's Daly's.  Ryan has been excellent as I have been torturing him for a few years now with questions and asking him for amended quotations.  Did you go with them yourself? If I recall, I think Ryan reviewed our house plans and was happy with a single MVHR system but I could be wrong as it was a while ago.  I must check to be sure of that.

Our Architect is Newline Architect's in Castledawson.  Your Architech's I see (after Google search) are in Ahoghill, just outside Ballymena? That's not too far away from our site which is in Creggan just outside Randalstown.

I might just take you up on the visit offer and I'll extend the offer on our site.

44 minutes ago, KillyfadNewBuild said:

Do you have an electric car yourself? My partner has a Nissan Leaf which is a great wee run about car.  2016 model if a recall so only gets her around 100/120 miles but does all that she needs it for and she loves it and finds it so cheap to run.

Yes, it's Daly's.  Ryan has been excellent as I have been torturing him for a few years now with questions and asking him for amended quotations.  Did you go with them yourself? If I recall, I think Ryan reviewed our house plans and was happy with a single MVHR system but I could be wrong as it was a while ago.  I must check to be sure of that.

Our Architect is Newline Architect's in Castledawson.  Your Architech's I see (after Google search) are in Ahoghill, just outside Ballymena? That's not too far away from our site which is in Creggan just outside Randalstown.

I might just take you up on the visit offer and I'll extend the offer on our site.

Nope. Two dirty diesels! Nearly new Leaf will be incoming once we have the build done. Maybe a VW ID4 our Hyundai EV6 down the line.

I'm doing the ASHP install myself. Though I have plumbers starting on Monday and this may something I delegate to them. A Monoblock with a pre-plumed cylinder is literally two water pipes, data cable and power supply. Can't be that hard, esp with @dpmiller consulting!!

Site visit anytime... I'm here 7 days a week 8am-8pm.... all ahead of you :)

• Like 2

On 10/09/2021 at 15:50, Conor said:

Nope. Two dirty diesels! Nearly new Leaf will be incoming once we have the build done. Maybe a VW ID4 our Hyundai EV6 down the line.

I'm doing the ASHP install myself. Though I have plumbers starting on Monday and this may something I delegate to them. A Monoblock with a pre-plumed cylinder is literally two water pipes, data cable and power supply. Can't be that hard, esp with @dpmiller consulting!!

Site visit anytime... I'm here 7 days a week 8am-8pm.... all ahead of you :)

Me and MT will definitely take you up on that offer Conor, thank you!

I am hoping to get the application submitted to Ecology today all being well (Exciting and nervous times haha) - just waiting on the finalised quotation from my contractor/builder.  No idea how in-depth Ecology need it but I'll try and get as much detail on the costings as possible and submit it and see what comes back.

Mortgage application has been approved as of this morning... now onto the legal process.

Absolutely over the moon and that's an understatement! Ecology is on another level when it comes to mortgages!!

A big thanks to the forum and it's members as you helped me get ready with everything I needed to make the application submission.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thought I would leave an update on the progress which might help others with time scales and progress with time of year i.e. cold, wet winters and building a new house.

We have our sub floors in place and some block being laid, plus our septic tank is in the ground.

Exciting times... every time I/we visit the site to see even the smallest bit of progress it's great.  Our contractor keeps me on my toes as he runs a tight ship which I respect.

1 hour ago, KillyfadNewBuild said:

Thought I would leave an update on the progress which might help others with time scales and progress with time of year i.e. cold, wet winters and building a new house.

We have our sub floors in place and some block being laid, plus our septic tank is in the ground.

Exciting times... every time I/we visit the site to see even the smallest bit of progress it's great.  Our contractor keeps me on my toes as he runs a tight ship which I respect.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c

Photos are better. We are all very very nosey even though most don't admit it!!

• 2 weeks later...