Part garage conversion without regs

Holtymet

Hi All,

I moved into a new build Dec 2020 and in Jan I asked my stepdad to knock through the kitchen, into the garage, to give us some much needed space.

Each of the two walls between the house and the garage have had RSJ's fitted on padstones and have been covered with fireboard conforming to building regulations.

A false floor has been installed to provide a continuous flat surface throughout with kingspan underneath for insulation and a wall created out of 2 layers of ply and insulation, halving the garage space.

The garage door is still in situ giving ~ 6m2 of space to store items.

What I wasn't aware of, is the need for building regulation sign off for these works and I just want to know what the implications would be if I don't get retrospective sign off?

I want to sell the property in a couple of years, will this be a blocker or not?

Thanks

Sorry to say this will cause big problems on a sale.

The structural opening through the wall would need exposing for building control to inspect.

The floor, walls and ceiling would need to be brought up to current insulation levels and any work done would need exposing for inspection.

The wall between the wall and the garage would need to be fireproof which usually as a minimum means 2 layers of 15mm fireline plasterboard with staggered joints.

There is an argument that if you have passed the time limit for building regulations enforcement (check but I think it's about 4 years) then a buyer might accept an indemnity insurance policy instead, but it is largely down to what a lender might say about the situation.  Tip if you are thinking of that solution then DO NOT contact building control about this, that would void an indemnity policy.

This post is perhaps more aimed at telling others not to do this sort of work without involving BC.

Thanks Dave, I'm not sure building control would have any reason to come and look at it within 4 years so maybe that's an option!

I have taken images of the exposed RSJ's which maybe they could view instead of breaking the plasterboard?

What are the regs for the floor if you know? The ceiling is the same as when it was built so that should be fine hopefully.

With indemnity policies do I take that out? if so is it just a one off purchase?

Two projects that we are considering are:

1) putting in bifold doors at the back, which would require the two RSJs to be bolted to a new perpendicular RSJ supporting the wall above the doors.

2) Bricking up the garage door, adding a window and removing the plywood wall.

Both of these projects would require building control approval so I may be able to add the opening onto it.

Calcs needed for the steels from an Engineer or at least showing the calculated steel sizing

Garage to Kitchen needs min 15mm fire line board on garage side. 

Electrical certificate on any new sockets/wiring 

Insulation in the floor needs to meet min regs, as does between garage and kitchen. 

2 minutes ago, Holtymet said:

Two projects that we are considering are:

1) putting in bifold doors at the back, which would require the two RSJs to be bolted to a new perpendicular RSJ supporting the wall above the doors.

2) Bricking up the garage door, adding a window and removing the plywood wall.

As this is a new build you may need the developers permission to do these. The garage door to window may also need planning permission. 

If you did these I would regularise the rest of the changes with Building control in one go. 

Hi Peter,

I've had the go ahead from the developer! seems like it'd be best to do it all at once as you say. Emailed planning yesterday so waiting on a response.

There were no calculations done for the steel on this build, my stepdad who did it, does these a lot on other jobs which do have the calcs (work via insurance companies) so I'm confident they are suitable but would I be able to get these from somewhere retrospectively?

Thanks Mark,

I'll have to ask him later today, what would I need as proof? I'm sure he get the steel from the same place all the time.

If we think of the worst scenario and I cant get any of the information, what would I be best of doing then, an indemnity policy? 

If I can get all of these, should i just keep them in a folder for when anyone asks at the point of sale.

- Steel Calcs/proof

- Electrical signoff

- Boiler reposition (I have gas safe cert from BC)

- BC signoff

Usually a supply invoice that ties up with a test cert is needed to show you haven’t just supplied a generic cert that could be for anything.

photo of the steel installed would ideally show the rolled in markings.

and yes a file with relevant paperwork looks “professional”