Air Conditioning - 1st fix pipework for later retrofit

Barney12

One of things I'm thinking of doing is adding some first fix pipework for air-to-air conditioning.

We have A LOT of south face glazing and so the overheating risk is real (we have recessed the glazing added brise soliel etc to mitigate).

As "modeling" can only do so much I'm considering adding the pipework for a couple of aircon units. Luckily our fairly open plan ground floor and larger upstairs central drawing room means that adding one on each floor will provide a fairly good degree of cooling and the MHRV should help further.

Obviously retro fitting would be a right PITA so I was thinking why not add the pipework and electrics now, they might be never used but now is the time to do it.

Perhaps a kit something like: https://www.air-heatpumps.com/LG/Multi-Split-Systems/LG-MU2M15.UL4

I assume all I need is some pipework as per this kit: https://www.air-heatpumps.com/Installation-Kits/Installation-Kit-A 

I.e. Insulated copper pipe and condensate drain?

Crazy idea? Pitfalls?

A lot of the self install pipes are precharged with refrigerant as they assume you don't have access to vacuum equipment to do a purge at install. You can just put soft copper pipes in and cap them off for future use but I wouldn't use a precharged pipe system 

Thanks. Just need to decide how to terminate at the likely location so that they are hidden until needed. I've a feeling that's not going to be that simple. I assume it's not malleable enough to be lightly coiled behind plasterboard? Or can you join it? 

One option would bo to reverse your ASHP to cool the water in the UFH. I believe most units are capable and you need to have a controller to take advanatge of that capability and also might need an "aircon-kit" to the ASHP - in our case a drip tray and drain pipe, and some additional insulation.

Cool floor. Just need to be careful to avoid condensation issues - e.g. flow temperature no lower than 16C.

I am fitting 22mm insulated pipes to the first floor terminating near to the heat pump.

If we get too much overheating then i will fit fan coil rads capable of using the air source heat pump in reverse to cool upstairs.

Only thing i need to look at is if you need to bypass the buffer when cooling?

trying to find 22mm versions of below to tidy up pipework at floor level

HW60004.jpg.0eb556f6f06ca8b84f8c46b7ae218c18.jpg

2 hours ago, ragg987 said:

One option would bo to reverse your ASHP to cool the water in the UFH. I believe most units are capable and you need to have a controller to take advanatge of that capability and also might need an "aircon-kit" to the ASHP - in our case a drip tray and drain pipe, and some additional insulation.

Cool floor. Just need to be careful to avoid condensation issues - e.g. flow temperature no lower than 16C.

I cant find anything about the reverse capabilities of the Samsung units. I've read an old post on ebuild that suggests this is common as its not supported as standard due to the requirements of the RHI schemes to only provide heat.

3 minutes ago, dogman said:

I am fitting 22mm insulated pipes to the first floor terminating near to the heat pump.

If we get too much overheating then i will fit fan coil rads capable of using the air source heat pump in reverse to cool upstairs.

Only thing i need to look at is if you need to bypass the buffer when cooling?

trying to find 22mm versions of below to tidy up pipework at floor level

HW60004.jpg.0eb556f6f06ca8b84f8c46b7ae218c18.jpg

So that angled connector is in the floor of each room?

two in each room under the floor and fixed in position and you can cap them with stop ends or something if you don't use them. 

The picture is a 15mm hep fittting 

Better than pipes coming through floor or left loose and cutting hole later

4 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I've read an old post on ebuild that suggests this is common as its not supported as standard due to the requirements of the RHI schemes to only provide heat.

Hitachi told me that they have to offer it separately due to meeting some regs (did not ask if RHI - I did not bother with it). With their ASHP, you can retrospectively enable cooling. A DIP switch and addition of the kit i mentioned above. So may be an option if your Samsung permits it - get your RHI signed off and add cooling later.