Splitting new water connection

Moonshine

I am about to lay the trenches for a new water connection, and I want to split the water connection so one will go to an outside tap at an external garage before the main run goes to the house, as below.

image.png.b355adb06bdddf9601e761b624d4f046.png

i presume there is no issue with doing this and its just case of using something like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-mdpe-equal-tee-25-x-25-x-25mm/17141

Edited by Moonshine

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

If the supply line is 25mm MDPE then it may be worth dropping it to 20mm to the garage - you don’t need the flow to an outside tap. 

I don’t rate those Floplast MDPE fittings - I would get something from Pipestock

https://www.pipestock.com/mdpe/mdpe-pipe-fittings/reducing-tee

That is a good shout on the 20mm to the garage, i will have a look at those connectors.

Maybe not necesaary,  but we have taken a 32mm supply direct from meter to plant room, we then two smaller pipes from plant room to i) external taps ii) rainwater harvester.  We managed to get 32mm+25mm+20mm all through the same 110mm duct.  This means no hidden joins/tees and allows independnat stop-cock (or solenoid valves) if required.

It was ground worker that suggested this approach.  It's a bit like the the manifold approach to pluming inside ..

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dan F said:

Maybe not necesaary,  but we have taken a 32mm supply direct from meter to plant room, we then two smaller pipes from plant room to i) external taps ii) rainwater harvester.  We managed to get 32mm+25mm+20mm all through the same 110mm duct.  This means no hidden joins/tees and allows independnat stop-cock (or solenoid valves) if required.

Very similar to us. I didn't like the idea of going straight from meter to external taps, so everything goes via the main internal stopcock in our plant room.

The one thing I missed was to have separate valves in the plant room for the outside taps. Given the relatively high likelihood of leaks, damage from frost or being knocked, seals failing etc (compared to, eg, internal taps), this seemed like a good option. There are entire months through winter where the outside taps aren't used, and I think it would have been nice to be able to isolate them from inside. 

When doing my water pipe, after the Water company's Toby* I then fitted 3 of my own.  One feeds the standpipe, one feeds the static caravan and one feeds the house.  House piped in 25mm and standpipe and caravan piped in 20mm

It means i have an additional isolation point for each branch should I need it.

* Toby is the term used here to describe the underground stopcock that also has provision for a water meter (not fitted here)

This sort of thing https://store.jdpipes.co.uk/united-utilities-boundary-box-meter-chamber/

6 hours ago, jack said:

Very similar to us. I didn't like the idea of going straight from meter to external taps, so everything goes via the main internal stopcock in our plant room.

The one thing I missed was to have separate valves in the plant room for the outside taps. Given the relatively high likelihood of leaks, damage from frost or being knocked, seals failing etc (compared to, eg, internal taps), this seemed like a good option. There are entire months through winter where the outside taps aren't used, and I think it would have been nice to be able to isolate them from inside. 

Costs slightly more, but you can isolate them with a solenoid valve which can can then we controlled from home automation (Loxone in my case).  If you want to go one step further, with the addition of a basic water meter with a pulse output, you can also do some basic leak detection and automatically turn off supply to branch in question.=.

• Like 1