Can the firepower of a gas nailer be adjusted?

epsilonGreedy

I am thinking of hiring a Paslode for a couple of days for my roofing job. There will be 4 jobs for the nailer:

1. Beef up the joints where the 122mm x 35mm jack rafters meet the 150mm x 35mm hip rafters at 45 degrees. These are currently fixed with 80mm and 100mm wood screws.
  2. Fix 80 linear meters of 2x1 roofing battens to trusses that have a fairly slender cross section ( its a dinky roof of 4.25m by 3.3m plan view).
  3. Fire a few extra nails into rafter ends to secure them into the wall plate.
  4. attach 1" thick software wood fascia and soffiit.

I assume this assortment of jobs will require something less than 90mm x 3mm rinkshanks with the gas nailer on full power?

1 minute ago, dpmiller said:

the end-point is adjustable, to set what depth the nail head stops at, but the power (the dose of gas) is fixed on the 350, not sure about the latest one.

So in effect the hammer travel can be adjusted? I was thinking these nailers worked like an air gun. One of my concerns is that the fascia nails will travel too far though the relatively thin softwood board.

I assume different sizes of nails can be loaded?

10 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

So in effect the hammer travel can be adjusted?

Yes by adjusting the “head” of the gun that sits on the wood. Beware tho that depth may  also depend on the density of the wood. IMO if the head depth is that important you may be better off with a Hammer, you could always set the nail proud and final drive with a hammer. Also a first fix gun has “points” to locate the gun on the wood and can leave marks around the head. This is why they are called “first fix” usually used fir stud work that nobody sees or you use filler afterwards.

thinking back I did my facia with mine, filler and sanding sorted it ?

Edited by joe90

I hired one to nail feather edge board to make a fence. As others have said, it's adjustable, but the one I hired worked out fine as delivered.

Made short work of my fence. Can be used one handed so was dead easy to hold board in place with one hand and fire the gun with the other. Could also reach through neighbours prickly plants which would be impossible with hand nailing.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I am thinking of hiring a Paslode for a couple of days for my roofing job.

Buy one… the older IM350 is bomb proof and is only £45 to have fully serviced. You can buy them for £200 or so on eBay, at the end of the build you can have it serviced and sell it for what you paid. It will pay for itself many times over. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Would a hire place stock these or are these best sources on eBay or Amazon?

I don't want to mark my part painted wooden fascias.

Hire place offered one when I was hiring a few years back. no extra charge.

• Like 1