Best option to reduce high water pressure - plumber and PRVs vs. water company?

Oxbow16

Hi (again!)  

Another plumbing query...  We've got high water pressure where we are (8bar).  We've got a lot of plumbing work coming up and initially we were going to have PRVs installed.  The house is split into two, so we'd need a couple of them.  But then someone recommended that I contact the water company (Dwr Cymru) - which I did - and they have agreed to come out and reduce the pressure.  I thought this would be best as it is free and would save on the cost of the x2 PRVs and associated plumbing work.

Since then, someone on another forum has recommended that I cancel Dwr Cymru and have a plumber do the work internally instead.  He says it is much better to have control and to be able to adjust the pressure as and when necessary.

What do you guys think is the best option?  Dwr Cymru could potentially rock up any day next week to carry out the job, so any thoughts would be most appreciated. 

Cheers

Keep the 8bar pressure for your outside tap(s) or onward feed to outbuildings etc. Go stopcock, outside tap then reduce afterwards.

It's only what our very own Welsh Wizard @Nickfromwales told me. 

I too have 8bar coming in. Does mean you have to check/tighten your garden hose connections now and then and as required clean your prv mesh filter.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the replies.  

19 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Are you fitting an UVC or a combi? Other?

No, we're keeping our existing standard oil boiler (Worcester Danesmoor) and gravity fed system.  We prefer to use as little water and energy as possible when showering, so weak pressure at the shower head isn't a problem for us.  

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Keep the 8bar pressure for your outside tap(s) or onward feed to outbuildings etc. Go stopcock, outside tap then reduce afterwards.

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Keep the 8bsr incoming and take outside taps off direct

Not possible without major re-plumbing work and - I would imagine - £££.  As it stands, the two outside taps are at toward the end of pipe runs, not at the start...  

Any thoughts on whether it's a bad idea to let Dwr Cymru do the reduction?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Oxbow16 said:

Any thoughts on whether it's a bad idea to let Dwr Cymru do the reduction?

1 hour ago, Oxbow16 said:

We prefer to use as little water and energy as possible when showering, so weak pressure at the shower head isn't a problem for us. 

Go for the Dwr Cymru option IMO. You are not going to benefit from any of the above suggestions with a gravity DHW system ;)