How effective are integral blinds? (hermetically sealed)

puntloos

Efficiency of the blinds built into the windows (outside-glass-blinds-glass-vacuum/gas-glass-inside)

On 3 aspects:

1/ Heat (U-value) of window with integral blinds down vs "just a wall" when directly in the sun - 

2/ Visibility of the inside during nighttime? (are they sufficient for bathroom privacy or can you easily see showering silhouettes)

3/ Brightness of direct sun - will a bedroom be pitch dark even with direct sun? 

Any good videos maybe - basically trying to figure out how much of a compromise this 'awesome new technology' is vs the traditionals

I suspect the quality is heavily dependant on the window manufacturer?

I did look in detail at a similar system fitted to a house up up the road from here.  These were Nordan triple glazed windows with integral blinds.

The devil is in the detail.  To my mind they were really double glazed windows, with the blinds on the outside of the DG unit and then a single pane of glass over the blinds.  The outer layer of glass could be hinged open to access the blinds for cleaning or maintenance, but that of course means is is not sealed so I doubt the window would have the performance of a true triple glazed unit.  Also the strings to operate the blind have to pass through a hole drilled through the frame to get to the insides.

It all seemed to compromise the window.  There were other issues with that particular window design as well that also put me off.

• Like 1

we also looked at these when looking at Internorm windows but in the end decided not to go that route for some of the reasons @ProDave has mentioned but also when doing the maths it was cheaper to get external blinds integrated into the building which we thought was a better solution.

• Like 1

We have external motorised blinds (Roma) which came fitted to the Gaulhofer windows as an option. Wired into mains and controlled via 240v wall switches. There is a wireless option but it's expensive.

Look great and perform well. Can be RAL coloured to match your scheme.

Ours are are never fully retracted aside from occasionally for cleaning. Mostly we adjust the angle of the blinds depending on time of day.

Inside is always bright but they also provide a high degree of privacy so no curtains needed.

@craig supplied them so he could give you more details.

2 hours ago, gc100 said:

We thought about these but decided against them because at some point one will break and thus ruin the whole window. 

Just returned from a client visit last week. He replaced all the glass we supplied in his orangery with glass with integrated electrical blinds (not from us).

Some work, some don’t and he now wanted us to put the glass back in (new order obviously). I hate them.

25 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

@craig supplied them so he could give you more details.

Thanks’ happy to help @puntloos

Edited by craig

@puntloos we have the Internorm 3G windows with the Venetian blind on the outside.

The Venetian blind unit is combined with a battery pack and solar PV to re-charge the battery, so no drilling/wiring etc. All of this is protected behind a forth pane of glass that is hinged for access.

The blind/battery/PV can be removed in a matter of seconds. 

We’re very happy with them. Throughout the fleeting sunny spells they’ve been titled to keep the sun out but have let oodles of light in. 

11 hours ago, puntloos said:

1/ Heat (U-value) of window with integral blinds down vs "just a wall" when directly in the sun

Pass. 

2/ Visibility of the inside during nighttime? (are they sufficient for bathroom privacy or can you easily see showering silhouettes)

Standard Venetian blind privacy performance, you can flash to the neighbours should the urge arise or keep it all well hidden. 

3/ Brightness of direct sun - will a bedroom be pitch dark even with direct sun? 

Again, standard Venetian blind stuff here, light leaks through when it’s fully closed.