On our previous build we paid vat on virtually everything and claimed it back at the end 

Has anyone managed to get materials zero rated I tried Pasquils yesterday and got a flat NO For trusses and joists 

After the twentieth  refusal, (including one from Pasquils also) I gave up trying.  Thereafter, I always asked for the invoice to be sent via email  so that I could deal with it 'online' as it were. 

Now, if I were a serial self builder, I'd have a project email address so that I would not have to sort   private emails from project-related ones. .... But - I'm not as young as you Gary. 

I've had trades who have supplied and fitted zero rate their invoice on applicable materials. If Pasquils are fitting, then the VAT should be zero rated once you've provide you PP reference. If not, then VAT would be payable and claimed back as you did before.

Materials can only be zero rated at source if they are part of a supply and fit arrangement. VAT applied to these type of invoices cant't be reclaimed.

If you can get materials supplied independently on their own invoice, with you named as buyer (site address etc) then you can reclaim at the end of the build when complete.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nod said:

I think we will be claiming the vat back at The end again

The problem with trades zero rating is They will probably put 20% on top of Tge materials for supplying 

I suppose it depends on how the quote comes around - for high value items like windows I fixed the material price first and then added installation.

For plumber and electrician services, they just provided a quote that included all materials, we supplied any specific items (sanitary ware, UFH etc).

Our landscaper did a day rate and got us his trade discount on materials which we bought in our name.

9 hours ago, nod said:

On our previous build we paid vat on virtually everything and claimed it back at the end 

Has anyone managed to get materials zero rated I tried Pasquils yesterday and got a flat NO For trusses and joists 

That's as it should be. Materials hould be standard rated to you unless part of a supply and fit type deal. 

18 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Materials can only be zero rated at source if they are part of a supply and fit arrangement. VAT applied to these type of invoices cant't be reclaimed.

If you can get materials supplied independently on their own invoice, with you named as buyer (site address etc) then you can reclaim at the end of the build when complete.

This is what I have found, plumber, windows and roof all 0% rated but everything that has come from a builders merchant has VAT added including Velux's which are just supply rather than the normal windows that are supply and fit. I do find it's worth asking the supplier on things that you're not sure on. For instance, muck-away is not VAT reclaimable (the HMRC guidance specifically mentions this) but my muck-away firm were happy to do it which saved me £500. I appreciate the firm may get caught but I can live with this having paid him £2k to take away good top soil only for him to sell it to someone else...where there's muck, there's money as they say...

What I have done to help with the VAT claim is to make an excel spreadsheet that is the same format as the HMRC form and then add each invoice to it as they come in. I also print the invoices out and them put them in the same chronological order. It means come claim time I can more or less just put my name and address on the claim form, print the spread sheet and post with the receipts (having made copies of everything just in case) via Special Delivery. It should be a 20 minute job once the house is completed.

• Like 1

The procedure to claim once the build is complete seems clear. I have plumber and builder invoices which have 20% vat and materials/labour are not separate line items. (They supplied material). I've asked them to zero rate these invoices but some sort of documenation is needed. Can anyone clarify what documentation is sufficient? The build is a barn conversion not lived in >10yrs.

• 1 month later...
On 08/09/2021 at 23:16, NWGEAR said:

The procedure to claim once the build is complete seems clear. I have plumber and builder invoices which have 20% vat and materials/labour are not separate line items. (They supplied material). I've asked them to zero rate these invoices but some sort of documenation is needed. Can anyone clarify what documentation is sufficient? The build is a barn conversion not lived in >10yrs.

They should just require you planning permission number and what authority it relates to.