Damp internal blockwork on chimney

James94

Hi all, noticed the internal blockwork was getting wet a while ago, only just been able to get a tower up to have a look. Taken a few pictures for you to have a look at and hopefully offer some advice.

I have read other posts about lead trays, I know there hasn’t been one fitted as I wasn’t aware of them during the build and the Brickki didn’t have a clue. Do you think The issue would be from the  lack of lead under ridge or will the stack have to come down, which I could do without as I don’t have any bricks left.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards. James

96047DAC-E4E1-4BAF-922B-04EDDBD99870.jpeg

BC4985B3-F284-4C58-BF78-A2CD5DA6C812.jpeg

775F17F5-0E47-405E-AE7E-58516EA29D09.jpeg

741D3790-7C43-4060-8819-C6240600CC2A.jpeg

It needs more lead so the complete pitch is covered. From the pics it looks like silicone was used and that ain't going to last like that on a roof. 

Cut into the bed of the bricks over the ridge tile and slide a piece of lead and then hammer it down to form the shape needed to go up and over the tile. 

To hold it in place cut small pieces of lead, 50*20mm and fold these over and over like a Swiss roll and then hammer them into the cut above where you put the lead in. This will hold the lead strip in place. 3 bits would be plenty. Fill the rest with lead mate. Much better than silicone.

• Like 1

Is this a new build? HAve you just bought it?  History / conttext please.

As above the bridging piece of lead is missing.  Shockingly bad by whoever put that roof on, total bodge that they have done.  But a relatively simple fix to put it right for a competent roofer.

Thanks for the response, it was built last year and we noticed it was leaking a while ago, just not been able to do anything until we had finished with scaffolding from round garage.

we took ridge of today and we was shocked to see there was no lead bringing the ridge, just assumed it would be there so yeah that will be first job then.

do you think this might cure the issue as I know there is no lead tray and I’m half expecting to have to take it down. Only problem there is I have no brick left and not sure if they’d clean up.

Regards. James

Thanks for your reply,

we are either going to buy a lead ridge abutment or get a section and mould it into place. 

Since I noticed the damp (see pic)almost a year ago I assumed it was because the bricklayer hadn’t installed a lead tray(see pic).  So whilst I have a tower up should I take the chimney down and put one in? Or do you think the lead ridge abutment will cure this dampness?

Regards james6546B3E9-B6ED-4A47-B47B-9087E11A67B9.thumb.jpeg.0aafb8c1de5e8d3ad7c36efaff60a4fa.jpeg

3DD4EA0A-82DD-48A0-8D51-515A2A583703.png

• 2 weeks later...