Using a US light fitting in the UK - do i need a transformer or can i just switch the bulbs

Adsibob

6 minutes ago, joth said:

If you're feeling cavalier, how about rewire the fitting to put both those bulbs in series?

The cable insulation would appear to be up to it but I resisted suggesting this as the creepage clearances in the sockets and any interconnectors may not be. For our mains voltages I would consider anything less than 3mm between exposed conductors to be unsafe.

43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So you can buy the G9 globes on eBay for £5-15 depending on size, and e12 to G9 adapters are readily available so you could do this with some bits. G9 halogen are also available for a while too - the LED versions aren’t the best. 

This won’t raspy solve the problem unfortunately. The light fitting (see picture above) has exposed bulbs. ie one is meant to choose decorative bulbs which form part of the aesthetics of light fitting. 

what I think you are suggesting, looks like this:

21662882-3BE7-475E-8C66-9D731E3C3067.jpeg.45ec8a66501e45d9f7423df949c6c6da.jpeg

but if I were to insert that into the end of the light fitting, which looks like this:

340D07D7-BB7F-43BD-BA21-F5265BD6623B.thumb.jpeg.b408954018cbad7924202945abf39083.jpeg

the biege plastic G9 socket/holder would stick out and be very visible alongside the black light fitting.

I did look at Bell adaptors (see post below) since at least most of the plastic base would be covered by the frosted glass bulb cover, and the portion that isn’t could be spray painted, but I struggled to find an e12 one.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265164100337

fits on a G9 threaded converter. 

thanks, but whilst I can find plenty of g9 to e12 converters, the inverse is harder to come by, particularly in a threaded version. Maybe my googling skillls are lacking.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

other option is an E12 to E14 SES adapter then you have lots of standard bulb options. 

Yes, this is the route we went down originally. It looks awful. Just because the bulb is at eye level, right in your face, and the adaptor is ugly.