My existing foundations

richo106

Hi

I have now exposed the foundations for our bungalow we are hoping to add another storey to.

There are 9 brick layers below the engineering brick line then 8inch of the concrete foundations below that. This protrudes 5inch from the brick line. (see attached photos)

I have spoken briefly with my builder and he is under the impression that even though the foundation is not as deep as desirable the fact that's its around 450mm in width he thinks we will be able to get away with the existing foundations for adding another storey

I will be trying to contact my structural engineer tomorrow to confirm this but I just wondered if anybody on here has any experience with these kind of footings and if my builder was right?

All advice and information greatly appreciatedIMG_2428.thumb.PNG.a424ee477a16a462b330efd2cca456ef.PNGIMG_2427.thumb.PNG.e02cc2d613157b7d4c8c1c098c4393dc.PNG

IMG_2429.JPG

2 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

Should be OK, they have been there a good long time which proves that they are ok. Need SE to do calcs and a soil survey for them to work with. 

A long time with a single story on them ?