Ideas for a large corner window

Blynchy

Hi Folks,

I am looking for any advice you can offer regarding the corner window I'm going to install in my living room. I will be constructing the building from ICF so I intend to create a hidden cantilever from both sides within the walls meaning I won't need a corner post. My thinking at the moment to make this stand out would be to put a glass to glass corner in. Another option would be to have two sliders meet in the corner and when you pull them back, it will be an open space; the only problem with this is that there are two frame meeting in the corner and the majority of the year it will be closed. I also considered Bifold but I can't seem to convince myself they are right for this situation. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or ideas and if they have done something like this before. 

Finally, I would love to hear thoughts on the layout itself

Layout of Living Block.pdf Elevations.pdf

Not being an engineer, this seems difficult to solve within a reasonable budget.

A 4.3m cantilever rigid enough over a frameless glass corner looks beyond the reach of ICF.  A giant glutam or very beefy steel frame might work. Have you asked a  SE? In reality you will probably end up with a steel prop in the corner. 

Beware if you install bifolds your kitchen living it will be very difficult to heat. They’re too drafty and you’re already on the back foot with the outside surface area vs floor area and the quantity of glazing. 

Your western elevation has many many windows. Have you had any look at overheating? 

Good luck

You wont be able to get a cantilever there. You generally need double the wall length to opening sizein order to carry the cantilever, regardless of method used. We have a 2x2m opening on a 5x5m room and has a 80mm corner post. It was originally designed as a cantilever but didn't work once we added the extra story on top. If I were you, do the same as us and make both returns the same - i.e. 2.5m x 2.5m. 

Hard to see much with the scaffolding up

PXL_20210902_093010913.jpg

Edited by Conor

Thanks for the feed back,  that's a no to bi-folds. 

I studied structural engineer as an undergrad and even though I have varied away from it to more energy and project management but I availing of my brother's help who is a full time SE. We are fairly confident of the details we have come up with. 

Regarding the overheating, I did a passive course a few years ago and trying to get a grip of it again and use PHPP. I'm finding it hard to get passive PSI values for window details I want. Does anyone know where would be a good place to get the building modeled to understand what will be needed regarding shading, glass type etc?

49 minutes ago, Blynchy said:

Thanks for the feed back,  that's a no to bi-folds. 

I studied structural engineer as an undergrad and even though I have varied away from it to more energy and project management but I availing of my brother's help who is a full time SE. We are fairly confident of the details we have come up with. 

Regarding the overheating, I did a passive course a few years ago and trying to get a grip of it again and use PHPP. I'm finding it hard to get passive PSI values for window details I want. Does anyone know where would be a good place to get the building modeled to understand what will be needed regarding shading, glass type etc?

Building Standards are the people you need to convince.

So I've had a good go at the phpp, and you weren't kidding. My over heating was up around 25%. To reduce this, I'm going to put shading over the south windows from the living room and dining room. I'm questioning whether do design something temporary or go with a retractable awning of some sort. Had anyone a preference or know of a good company that do sturdy, well made shading products 

On 02/09/2021 at 15:09, Blynchy said:

We recently used Greengauge Building Energy Company to do our overheating modeling using Passivhaus calculations. We had Mitch work on ours, and I really liked him a lot.

We received a detailed report analyzing the house for heat demands, overheating, shading etc. Came up with some pragmatic solutions to help us keep large scenic view windows that risk the house overheating. 

http://www.ggbec.co.uk/

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

We recently used Greengauge Building Energy Company to do our overheating modeling using Passivhaus calculations. We had Mitch work on ours, and I really liked him a lot.

We received a detailed report analyzing the house for heat demands, overheating, shading etc. Came up with some pragmatic solutions to help us keep large scenic view windows that risk the house overheating. 

http://www.ggbec.co.uk/

Sounds like a plum operation...