Grand designs - new series 2021

Moonshine

Last weeks one was just an example of the ludicrous planning system we have.

A valley in Cumbria with the ruins of some old mill.  They got PP to conserve and add a building to it, but then the building was declared beyond hope by the heritage guy, so they knocked it all down, built the new building and then rebuild something a bit similar to the derelect stone work around it to look as though they had kept the old ruins.

Am I the only one that thinks it would have been better just to build a completely new building and face it in the old stone, once it was apparent the old building was completely beyond saving?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A valley in Cumbria with the ruins of some old mill.  They got PP to conserve and add a building to it, but then the building was declared beyond hope by the heritage guy, so they knocked it all down, built the new building and then rebuild something a bit similar to the derelect stone work around it to look as though they had kept the old ruins.

Am I the only one that thinks it would have been better just to build a completely new building and face it in the old stone, once it was apparent the old building was completely beyond saving?

One of many mysteries.

every week the missus wants to know how they get planning, and I can only put it down to big money hiring good consultants.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Would they have had to reapply for planning permission once the old mill was knocked down?  Would there have been a risk of them being refused?  Or was it a case of once they'd started down a particular path, they were blind to any other direction?

• Like 1

One of the better ones in the end but the process was, as above, a bit suspect. Makes good telly though. It wasn't as remote as it seemed. The cameral picked up someone's house nearby. A relative I think. Planners are under such pressure to achieve targets that every little (or big) one helps.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do the producers of theses programs make the home owners look really stupid, or are they really stupid??

who orders a lorry load of concrete and doesn’t notice an old weak bridge in the way that the lorry won’t get over. 

Really are they that thick. 

A friend of mine was doing an "eco" build in the early days of GD. The producers were very keen until they saw how organised he was. He got the impression they were only interested in something with the potential to go wrong. Drama and jepordy and being able to call people idiots makes better TV apparently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

A friend of mine was doing an "eco" build in the early days of GD. The producers were very keen until they saw how organised he was. He got the impression they were only interested in something with the potential to go wrong. Drama and jepordy and being able to call people idiots makes better TV apparently. 

I knew a freelance sound engineer who worked on the original Sarah Beeny shows.

He said that if you don't eff it up they will find a way to edit the footage to make it look like you did. Participants have zero editorial control and a the end of the day these are entertainment shows so entertainment will be delivered. 

• Like 1

Would it get a mortgage with all that spray in foam?

Liked the stonework, but the leadwork is the worst I have ever seen, I guess they did it, hope it does not get windy there and that the birds stay away.

When they had to demolish it, I think they should have drawn new plans up,  I was not taken by it.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 09:11, Russell griffiths said:

Really are they that thick. 

Unfair.

If they are thick , then so am I.  I once estimated and won a project for some heavy civil engineering. Our PM politely asked me how I planned to get the lorries under the low railway bridge on the access track.

Fortunately,  smaller lorries and a bit of road scraping resolved it. 

I had been on a site visit.

And then there was not thinking of the power cables over a new office block in a power station!

Assuming these people are not in the industry, the weight of a concrete lorry might never occur.

I need to catch up on these new GDs. Advice on the most interesting programmes please?

On 15/10/2021 at 08:33, Russell griffiths said:

Well that last one was a bit crap, what was the point of the cantilever?  Looked like he spent £300,000 on trying to make it float when two columns could have probably saved him £150,000. 

As kevin said it looked like a bungalow just up in the air. 

I think his cost savings cut the ‘pizazz’ out of it- ultimately a folly and waste. 

Yes this was a lesson in how to waste money on a completely unecessary design feature (the cantilever) when a couple of pillars would achieve the same thing so much easier and cheaper.

But I felt sorry for the bloke, start a project expecting another house sale to fund it, then find that house does not sell and the only way to shift it is drop the price drastically.  A bit close to home that one.

And i also saw a broken, bitter and twisted lonely man putting on a brave face with the situation he found himself.

• Like 1