Skirting instead of kick-board plinths

Grian

I love the appearance of kitchens which have skirting (see cream kitchen example) rather than recessed kick boards, I think this would make my secondhand bargain units look pretty posh. I do appreciate it may be less ergonomic as you have to stand a few cm further back, but in case I prefer them I'm wondering how easily they are stabilised/attached compared to recessed? Also, I have a freestanding cooker and dishwasher so this may bugger it up as it couldn't have a normal skirting corner at those gaps in the run...

Can anyone advise, and any experience on the ergonomics would be very welcome too. Thank you.

65194903810__45F59C34-C338-477F-B9CD-4C67E33C6DD9.thumb.jpeg.f1fb901f539b002f19d4a0da70797e60.jpegskirting-board2.thumb.jpg.6f244fd7e314c488162df22d2db54190.jpg

Presumably the ergonomics impact could be mitigated by oversizing the worktop a bit? So it overhangs the skirting and your toes.  Just beware that the top drawers still operate ok. (handless style doesn't work so well)

We have this. It's OK.

Issues...

A few times we have accidentally kicked a sharp outside corner in bare feet (ouch).

Our sink is recessed and I do feel it in the back if there is a load of washing up. Think you will be OK with the Belfast sink if it's not too deep/low.

The top edges of the skirting attract dirt. 

11 hours ago, joth said:

Presumably the ergonomics impact could be mitigated by oversizing the worktop a bit? So it overhangs the skirting and your toes.  Just beware that the top drawers still operate ok. (handless style doesn't work so well)

They are already a little on the generous side so that would be in our favour... and being in-frame the drawers have plenty leeway. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Temp said:

We have this. It's OK.

Issues...

A few times we have accidentally kicked a sharp outside corner in bare feet (ouch).

Our sink is recessed and I do feel it in the back if there is a load of washing up. Think you will be OK with the Belfast sink if it's not too deep/low.

The top edges of the skirting attract dirt. 

Ouch, we are a shoes off household!

My husband creates dirt so I am resigned to regularly wiping most of the kitchen for spills! I might actually prefer wiping the top surface for dirt compared to trying to get the accumulation of dust and dog hair from those corners under units though.

9 hours ago, joe90 said:

Yes and the whole point of a kick board being recessed is you can stand closer to the worktop, saves your back. 

That is very true.

9 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

We have just spec’d this on our new kitchen. Felt it gave a ‘chunkier’ look and anchored the kitchen a bit better.

Neither of us plan on doing any major washing up, that’s why we have a dishwasher!! 

It arrives on the 13th sept so will let you know what it’s like when it’s in!

Please let me know if you have bandaged toes on the 14th! I feel the same, it gives base units a bit more solidity somehow.

Edited by Grian