slate cutter

scottishjohn

Just about to do my first slate roof on the old explosives building .as soon as I get walls+ gables  back up and rafters made etc

never done slates before -

was going to go for tin roof -- but seems a shame not to keep it as it was  including  a 200year old refurbed sky light 

skylight was made in dumfries     when there were iron works al over -  

any suggestions for a good slate trimming cutting tool?

I use one of these (well similar anyway) they leave a Proper edge (you cut the tile from the back) and leaves a ragged edge like they come with.       https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114928777104?hash=item1ac249f790:g:6KMAAOSwgZJf-zuR      Yes an angle grinder is good but leaves a “cut” edge.

When I had my roof done they used hooks and not nails, I was not sure about this but at least you can replace a slate whereas when nailed it’s very difficult. Try watching this….. I would not use nails again ?

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

The angle grinder cut edges on my roof are hidden as they are either under the ridge tile or under the slate gable edge trim, I also used slate and 1/2 so that the alternative row ends had a larger slate as I didn’t want the wee 1/2 cut slates.

Scottish roof so it was nailed directly onto sarking boards with a breathable membrane.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roys said:

The angle grinder cut edges on my roof are hidden as they are either under the ridge tile or under the slate gable edge trim, I also used slate and 1/2 so that the alternative row ends had a larger slate as I didn’t want the wee 1/2 cut slates.

Scottish roof so it was nailed directly onto sarking boards with a breathable membrane.

thats how mine will be --no batons