Fire spread treatment for timber

kxi

We have a lot of exposed timber purlins that need to be treated to comply with fire spread regulations. The timber is rough, and likely to end up being painted for its final finish.

Came across this product as an alternative to the normal thick paint / varnish: 'Zeroflame fire retardant treatment'

- Achieves BS Class 0 for fire spread on solid timber
- Looks like it would be easy to apply to rougher wood as soaks into wood rather than coats it
- Water-based, non-toxic unless you are a slug (is ferric phosphate in water), 'virtually' odourless
- Effective for lifetime of the wood & cannot be worn off
- Can be overpainted

Sounds good? Any comments on / experience with this or similar?

I am curious about this product too. I have a timber clad house where I was considering using similar products. No idea if it works, but it might be fun to test it. I have a couple of SIPS packer pieces that I could cover with timber cladding offcuts, treat one of them and try burning both of them.

In the name of science of course. I am in no way a pyromaniac.

Edited by dnb
  • Haha 1

Yep seen it used / specified on commercial jobs and it does work - unlike @dnb I am a pyromaniac and we tried it on some offcuts with a blowtorch !! 

Quickest way of covering is to use a sprayer but allow for overspray etc and mask up windows etc if you’re applying it to a finished building. 

Has been discussed before 

• Thanks 1

@PeterW Did you try painting over the top?

Just noticed the official webpage says:

'Can be over coated with water borne, non-flammable varnishes and wood stains if a decorative or protective finish is required.  Please test on a small area before treating the complete surface to ensure you are satisfied with the result'

(Does not mention 'paint' by name)

https://www.zeroflame.co/products/Fire-Retardant-Treatment

Rawlins does say 'paint' though:

'Can be overcoated for decorative purposes with waterborne, non-flammable paints'

https://www.rawlinspaints.com/home/fire-retardant-paints/timber-plasterboard/128-zeroflame-fire-retardant-treatment.html