Self build in Surrey

SarahG

We were lucky enough to inherit a small bungalow in a prime location in Surrey. We are now hoping to demolish the existing building and build a new two story house, approx 190sqm. Assuming we can organise a self build mortgage, our budget is £500k all in, including professional services etc. We are currently having some sketches drawn up by a local architect, it’s been a bit painful as we have very clear ideas of what we want and trying to keep it as simple as possible in order to keep costs down. He seems to be now finally listening to us. We are hoping to do as much work as possible ourselves, but with two young children and both working it’s not going to be easy. Feeling very nervous about the spiralling construction costs! Also nervous that prices will be extortionate in our area.

4 hours ago, SarahG said:

We were lucky enough to inherit a small bungalow in a prime location in Surrey. 

We knocked down a small bungalow (<100m2) and rebuilt about 5 years ago, right on the Hampshire/Surrey border. Materials and labour costs have moved on a lot during that time, but if you're doing a lot of the work yourself, have kept the design simple, and make smart choices about where to spend your cash (e.g., no £50k kitchens!), your budget doesn't seem unreasonable.

1 hour ago, jack said:

We knocked down a small bungalow (<100m2) and rebuilt about 5 years ago, right on the Hampshire/Surrey border. Materials and labour costs have moved on a lot during that time, but if you're doing a lot of the work yourself, have kept the design simple, and make smart choices about where to spend your cash (e.g., no £50k kitchens!), your budget doesn't seem unreasonable.

I guess it depends on the spec, but in Surrey won't you be paying similar prices to London prices for labour? I'm not sure £500k is enough. But if it is, make sure you factor in a contingency buffer.

We started our build about 8 months ago, are probably only two thirds of the way through and are already at least 20% over budget. Part of that was the BCO insisting on things that really weren't required; part of it was Brexit increasing costs of importing products from the EU (so much for a free trade agreement, I've just paid my fourth customs invoice in a month) and part of it was just general inflation.

14 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I guess it depends on the spec, but in Surrey won't you be paying similar prices to London prices for labour? I'm not sure £500k is enough. But if it is, make sure you factor in a contingency buffer.

We started our build about 8 months ago, are probably only two thirds of the way through and are already at least 20% over budget. Part of that was the BCO insisting on things that really weren't required; part of it was Brexit increasing costs of importing products from the EU (so much for a free trade agreement, I've just paid my fourth customs invoice in a month) and part of it was just general inflation.

Well we are Surrey/London border so if Surrey prices are the same as London prices then I guess we will! Our architect knows some builders in Hampshire, we will get a few quotes though as will be managing the build ourselves. We won’t be getting an expensive spec and plan to reuse parts of our existing kitchen in the utility room etc. We also have some things we have bought over the years on eBay we will use. We just want to get the minimum done so we can move in and do the rest when we can afford it. Hoping to get some quotes when the sketches are done but I don’t know how reliable they will be with everything going on at the moment. We would like to start next year but I guess we will see what happens when we start talking to some builders!