Is this shower tray faulty?

MikeSharp01

I have been struggling to level our daughters shower tray all day and get tge water to flow away. I have it level both ways but the rim at the end foe about 150mm in the middle is sloping the wrong way - as you can see from the picture, the tray side with the short level is level over the whole distance but a bit up at the end which should help the rim issue20210829_163615.thumb.jpg.bec3493d639610a378ea33a6dd2d4d50.jpg. The tiler will be tanking it, I guess to the tray and there is 9mm tiles + 1mm adhesive to go on will that be an effective seal against water pooling against it or do we need to get a new tray? 

Put some gaffa tape from the wall to the tray and pour a kettle over it. If the water makes its way left and right of the 'defect' then makes its way into the tray I'd say don't panic. If there is a constant pooling of water there and the stagnant water does NOT make its way into the tray then a possible case for a return as unacceptable.  Even the most expensive trays have such manufacturing defects, and it's about averages eg where the defect occurs and can you live with it? 

If it falls as per the small level shows, and then carried on to the left / right and then naturally makes its way to the drain then I'd say you'll be fine. It's all designed to be soaked constantly for 10-15 mins x number of times a day at the end of the day. Tanking and sealing the upstand as I mention in other threads is all the insurance you'll need AFAIC. 

You find the same sort of problem with baths. With a shower above, you can have pooling on the top edge in the corners...  

I often have had shower trays that aren't level. Sometimes it's a fight between getting the water to go down the waste and ensuring the tray edge is level enough for the shower enclosure....

Never see any installation instruction covering that dilemma!

39 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I have the tray dead level and most of it works, its just that edge which is wrong. Anyway we are going to ask the tiler to fit this: https://www.showersealsdirect.co.uk/seals/trimlux-pro-23-sealing-trims-23mm-wide-trims.html and go from there. 

Sorry but that trim / seal is nasty. Do you really need it?

On the 100+ showers I have fitted I never used a seal like that.

I always sealed the tray to the wall with a quality sealant (785), then tiled down to about 2mm off the top of the tray, grouted down to the bottom of the tile leaving the 2mm gap, and then sealed the 2mm gap with no problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I have the tray dead level and most of it works, its just that edge which is wrong. Anyway we are going to ask the tiler to fit this: https://www.showersealsdirect.co.uk/seals/trimlux-pro-23-sealing-trims-23mm-wide-trims.html and go from there. 

Do NOT fit that trim. It will cause you no end of problems, plus you cannot trim it against the shower cubicle. 
I gave up using those 20 years ago after all the comebacks. ??????

44 minutes ago, wozza said:

I used one of these on each of my trays:

No More Leaks Bath & Shower Sealing Kit - YouTube

I’m just entering my 3rd decade of bathroom installation ( coordination these days mostly ) and I haven’t ever needed a strip like that. 
Have a read of the thread I linked from

back in the day. It’s quite well detailed there how I install trays and formers, so fill your boots :) 

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Got similar fitted to the old ensuite tray. Rearrange the words:

like sieve leaks a

The fact that to make it work you'd have to load it with CT1 anyway just do away with it and bring the tiles down onto the tray I would.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I always sealed the tray to the wall with a quality sealant (785), then tiled down to about 2mm off the top of the tray, grouted down to the bottom of the tile leaving the 2mm gap, and then sealed the 2mm gap with no problems.

OK will go that way!

• 2 weeks later...

I have used trimlux and it has worked very well for me in the past, not sure what Nick means when he says you can't trim it against a shower cubicle, it is easily cut and butted up to screen/frame.

@on/off , of course you have to fill it with Silcione, thats how it is meant to work,  we recently saw a job where someone installed cladseal (made by same people as Trimlux) where they never filled it with silicone, no kidding thats how stupid some installers are, panles had to be taken off wall and seal fitted properly, absolute clowns out there.

my experiece is if you install it as meant to, it will work perfectly, if you install it incorrectly its going to fail, like anything i guess.

Edited by Johan Eiwing