Sign in to follow this  
Andehh

Reroofing, replace old PV?

Recommended Posts

We are refurbing & extending a bungalow, the previous owners install 21 x PV panels back in 2012 ish when the feed in tariff was at its highest. 

 

Everything still works fine, and on the best bet day we can hit approx 3kWh. Mixture of low roof angle, some shade & I'm guessing 10 year old panels mean we will never hit the full 4kWh which I believe ours are paper spec's as. 

 

 

As part of the reroofing, I am debating replacing them all with a lower quantity of newer panels in the hope of achieving some extra output! 

 

Has anyone ever gone down this route before? Is it fairly straightforward to replace old with new? 

 

Is there a risk this could impact our very good FIT? 

 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Everything still works fine, and on the best bet day we can hit approx 3kWh. Mixture of low roof angle, some shade & I'm guessing 10 year old panels mean we will never hit the full 4kWh which I believe ours are paper spec's as. 

Think you mean 3 and 4 kW (installed capacity). kWh is energy, kW is power. Power times time is energy.

18 minutes ago, Andehh said:

am debating replacing them all with a lower quantity of newer panels in the hope of achieving some extra output!

It may affect the FiT payment, but you can replace them. Give MCS a call and ask. Then let us all know.

 

Have you thought of going roof integrated PV. Probably similar price to reproofing, and looks better. You could fit more modules and have a separate circuit dedicated to DHW heating. That is the cheapest energy storage there is. Alternatively, or as well as, battery storage to reduce imports.

Really comes down to how much you want to spend overall.

Edited by SteamyTea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks will do, MCS wasn't fussed, but wasn't sure who might be. For £2k a year, we want to be sure.

 

I have emailed British Gas to ask them (our FiT provider), and will report back when I know more :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Andehh said:

report back when I know more

Good on you, we like definitive answers on here.

There is still some confusion about I stalled capacity and limited capacity AFAIK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.

 

I thought you could be moved onto the current system.

 

Moving my panels is one thing I have in my plan for them, and the strings are .done to facilitate that. 

 

I think you need to make sure it is like-for-like. ie No noticeable increase in power generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The challenge we have is the capacity is 3.99kwh limit (I think) but the panels are from 2011.

 

Our plans involve a mono pitch roof, which would have the solar panels angled away from the south facing they currently enjoy. 

 

Desire is to replace the panels with new ones, and do so such that we can 'over compensate' with quantity/quality, to cancel out the loss from the negative angle. 

Edited by Andehh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Desire is to replace the panels with new ones, and do so such that we can 'over compensate' with quantity/quality, to cancel out the loss from the negative angle. 

I got a £270 speeding fine for overcompensating the times I have been stuck in traffic.

It don't work like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...its works if you don't get caught! ;)

 

I might just have to wait to hear back from British Gas, but it depends on what they use to authorise the system surely? Do they limit you on Sheer size of system or maximum power output allowed? 

 

Could you elaborate please SteamTea? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FiT registration states the equipment installed, so apart from a like for like repair that doesn’t alter the potential output  you aren’t to change components.

 

Unless you want the fit payment stopped and at 55p a unit generated that would be daft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TonyT said:

The FiT registration states the equipment installed, so apart from a like for like repair that doesn’t alter the potential output  you aren’t to change components.

That is my understanding, but it is over a decade since I was involved in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much guys, that makes sense! I remember seeing the serial numbers on the paperwork now that you mention it. 

 

I'll just have to accept a lift & refit, annoying as the new roof orientation will put them slightly off pitch. :(

 

 

Edit to add:

 

For others in a similar situation, the below will 'help', but I may need too still reach out to them. Removal & refit for roof change, but maintaining existing equipment I hope to maintains our eligibility. It isn't definitively clear in my mind though? 

 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/consultation-fit-replacement-generating-equipment

Edited by Andehh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Andehh said:

For others in a similar situation, the below will 'help', but I may need too still reach out to them. Removal & refit for roof change, but maintaining existing equipment I hope to maintains our eligibility. It isn't definitively clear in my mind though? 

 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/consultation-fit-replacement-generating-equipment

That will be worth following.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t tell anyone then, and it will be fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to update, speaking 'hypothetically' with British Gas (my FiT provider) & OFGEM...there seems to be a relatively 'common sense' approach to this, though always take this with a pinch of salt.

 

If you are removing the system for building work, just let us know....when you reinstall it let us know..if system isn't being changed no issues at all. If you change any aspect of the system let us know & provide justification for it/invoices for replacement parts. Replacing 95% of the system with new components (as I was wondering above) would 'probably' class as a new installation & loss of Fit...but if you are replacing some panels due to breakage, that should be fine. 

 

There is a slight vagueness overall, ie not cut & dry...just a contact us with a good reason & you will probably be OK.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this