Lifting beam/purlins onto roof

Moggaman

Hi,Roof.JPG.114603c16252f2bc731dccd23061a30a.JPG

I have 2 No. 12m long 203 x 102 x 23 to lift onto my blockwork upstairs from gable to gable supported on intermediate walls. They are not shown in the drg attached but site just above the collar ties at the collar tie /rafter junction. The beams individually weigh 250kg which is not big. There is a guy near me who i can hire a JCB telescopic handler off. He will drive it.

The forks of the handler are probably only 1.5m or 2m apart. Is it maddness trying to balance a12m long beam (it would be strapped to the forks) and lifting up to 6m in height. if it unbalances its gone...

Also, it may not have the reach... do ye know how far these things reach?

Cranes arent handy got where i am...

Just interested in yer view.

Thanks

The longest we had were 7m 300x96 I Joists and we slid them up. I also lifted our ridge beam 8m x 240x320 Kerto assembly with headboard by building a scaffold above it and lifting it on a chain hoist, just got the hoist at the balance point which worked well - managed it all by myself!:S The picture is the smaller front beam lift but used the same approach on the main beam on the left.

20200908_182347.jpg

• Like 1

@Moggaman that is a very light beam, it will bend like a banana as you pick it up. Have you made sure all your seats / padstones are perfectly aligned / level..?

Slinging with a Telehandler is the way to go with that load - you’ll need a 5m lifting strop, mark the centre of the beam and then go 1.5m either side and attach the strop. Forks through the loop and lift and it will tighten up as it lifts. 

Depending on which JCB it is, it could reach anywhere between 7m and 14m total boom, the issue will be boom angle and how close you can get the machine to the building. 

• Like 1

You'll need straps for that length of beam. The handler will need a reach of 3m or so greater than the actual distance. We used a 14m handler to lift our 6m beams up our. 1.5 stories. It was quite difficult to maneuver in our site.

In hand sight a crane would have been a better job

Have you ordered the beams? If not, shorter beams bolted together would be easier - that's what we did.

Edited by Conor

• 2 weeks later...