Building the Dream Mobile Home

Ferdinand

Just caught Building the Dream with lunch.

They built a Passive Haus certified home to meet Mobile Home regs on a 5 acre site in the New Forest. For £350k.

Apart from an I "Omigod This Is So Difficult and Unique and Has Never Been Done Before and PH Is So Revolutionary" stance from the architect (generally rather exaggerated), it seemed quite interesting.

Tempted to look up the PP.

Ferdiinand

Was this a new series or an old one?  I remember an old one where they did this and it was a good demonstration just how big you can go and still be legally classed as a "caravan" hence exempt from building control.

Thanks for the link - very interesting!

The biggest surprise for was the price at £350k which I reckon makes the cost for gross external area at £2,800/m2.

This compares to £1,050/m2 for something similar that I've just finished (based on mobile home design & size limits but we ended up getting PP to build it as a normal house with normal foundations.

46 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Just watching it and did anyone spot the first gaff by the architect " MVHR works by mixing warm air from kitchens and bathrooms with fresher incoming air" ?

Sadly, this matches my experience with local architects, with one exception.  From talking with one very switched on local architect I've reached the conclusion that somehow there needs to be a melding of the artistic and design skills that architects have traditionally learned with hard-core systems engineering, so that more architects understand the fundamentally different design approach that has to be taken when designing an energy efficient home.

I've recounted here before our experience with four local architectural practices.  I wrote a single A4 page with a brief on it, that had nine bullet points, in descending order of importance for us.  Bullet point one was that the house should meet, or be close to, Passivhaus performance.  All four practices completely ignored this at the short initial meetings I had with them, and one suggested that we should include four large roof lights in the South-facing elevation.  A bigger numpty would be hard to find, as even when I asked about the over-heating risk it was met with a blank stare, that suggested to me that the bloke hadn't got a clue about passive house design.

The glimmer of hope is that there are a few architects around who are taking the time to get to grips with low energy design.  One, quite near us, is like a breath of fresh air compared to the older, more established, practices (and we've now had thirteen different architects come to visit our build, so I've been exposed to a reasonable sample).  We're not that far from the New Forest, either; it's around 40 minutes or so driving time away.