knocking through a wall

TryC

Hi All,

We're thinking of having one of the walls knocked through to make the kitchen bigger. The wall we are thinking of (not sure if it is a loading/structural wall), is just a little room next to the kitchen.

What type of tradesperson should I be looking at to complete a project like this?

Our neighbour had his done years ago, and it is likely they will not even remember who did theirs.

Do we need planning permission? my initial research indicates no, but who knows nowadays! I only found out recently you need to inform the council if you replace your windows!

Thanks in advance.

You need a general builder who can do the whole thing.

You need building regulations.

First though you need a Structural Engineer (SE in short on this site)

Planning permission may apply in certain circumstances, eg a listed building, or a protected area.

Engineer first.

Someone who has done this recently can advise, but I would say allow minimum £3,000 +VAT. Depends on size, nature of the work and where you are, so could be more.

Of course if it not a structural wall then it is all easier. What do you hear when you tap it? Hollow or solid?

What do you hit if you try to put a hole in it? 

SE would tell you if it was not structural, and if it still needs Building Control. 

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

You need a general builder who can do the whole thing.

You need building regulations.

First though you need a Structural Engineer (SE in short on this site)

Planning permission may apply in certain circumstances, eg a listed building, or a protected area.

Engineer first.

Someone who has done this recently can advise, but I would say allow minimum £3,000 +VAT. Depends on size, nature of the work and where you are, so could be more.

Of course if it not a structural wall then it is all easier. What do you hear when you tap it? Hollow or solid?

What do you hit if you try to put a hole in it? 

SE would tell you if it was not structural, and if it still needs Building Control. 

thank you very much :)

• 6 months later...
On 25/08/2021 at 19:14, TryC said:

thank you very much :)

@saveasteading, think you are spot on! I've re-visiting this project now since I cannot find a reliable bathroom installer.

I found a structural engineer, and they have a ton of good reviews on google and we have him scheduled to come. I did also research for builders and asked the SE if he could recommend. He actually recommended one that I had found myself (one with a number of good reviews on Trust a trader), but it makes me feel a bit more comfortable since the SE recommended him too.

Anyway, the builder informed me that it is likely a load bearing wall but the SE would confirm, (just so happends builder could come out before SE), anyway, he is quoting about £3k - which is pretty eye watering :(

Currently, the wall to be removed, one the other side, has a old wooden cupboard attached to it, and along that is the sink with a battered cupboard under it (not sold wood, more like mdf or something). If the wall is removed, of course the attached wooden cupboad needs to go (I am assuming the builder will do this within his quote and not expect us to remove it) - or maybe if we do, it will save us some money (tho it is pretty sturdy!).

My question, is, is it possible to get a tempoary kitchen sink in situ or continue to use the one we have now (which is not technically connected to the wooden cupboard attached to the wall). As there might be some wait for a joiner to come in to put in some worktops (need to find one/or there is a long wait list).