Knocked back :(

DragsterDriver

Personally I feel the original elevations are a bit too twee - very 80’s looking and the revised elevations will look dated and be a nightmare to maintain in a couple of years. Personally I’d steer well away from the timber cladding and would take a closer look at the form of the house so that the plan generated the elevations rather than sticking a wracking great pitched roof over the left hand side just to get the roofs to work. It really does look like an 80’s elevation with some “trendy” bits plugged in to try and give it a “contemporary” look making the composition quite fussy with no real base concept - like a pick’n’mix house. Take the elevations back to first principles - use the plan to generate them, use simple geometry for the fenestration, make the entrance “human” scale and use a materials palette that is timeless, contemporary and maintainable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

really wants his chimney and brick areas- do I really want to be sticking brick slips on a timber frame?...

Our planner wanted a chimney too. I wonder what it is about planners and chimneys. On our house the addition of a chimney made the house look like a ferry sailing off to sea. I've built the house without the chimney but if there are ever any questions I can show them that the structure has the base for the chimney so we can add it on in the future. Nothing in the planning rules to say by when you have to finish the build. Anyway, could you do something similar to avoid the chimney yourself? Just an idea like ?

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1

Fake chimneys.

I am with you in getting rid.

It is difficult to budge the planners on this but it can be done.

I argued against them on a large development by a Typical Well known company. 

The chimneys were fibreglass, positioned a random spots on ridges that did not correspond to the fake fireplaces inside.

The planners, I think, were a bit surprised at first, not realising that these were fake, and plastic. The initial response was that they reflected the rural style and they like them.

(Partial success, as the developer was quite happy to make the saving, and just kept a few)

The argument that can persuade is sustainability. 

Anything fake cannot be vernacular, the word they like. Vernacular makes use of local material to suit local need. No fire, no fireplace.

The fake chimney cost £2,000 or more, which of course uses materials which are utterly wasted, and include GRP, with plastic in the title.

The fake chimney normally imposes a load (vertical and wind) on the roof and has to be flashed in, creating a need for additional support, and areas of vulnerability. I know from people that have them that there are leaks.

So if I wanted rid of it I would make it sustainability. As a champion, which I assume you are, you could not justify the waste of resources for a plastic thing stuck on the roof. Would they like a plastic bird on top while you are at it?

You could add that in 30 years the bricks will look like 30 year old weathered bricks and the grp will be either faded to white plastic or bright and shiny...who knows?

One little thing. you can probably avoid saying Spanish slates.  For example one name, for no logical reason, is Hastings, even though from Spain, so say 'Hastings or similar' or some other good name.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 19:29, DragsterDriver said:

I’m a man on the edge! ?

honestly thought paying somebody would make all this paperwork go away, wrong again!

recieved a reply :o planner isn’t against t changes, but really wants his chimney and brick areas- do I really want to be sticking brick slips on a timber frame?...

just agree to the chimney and dont build it.  same with brick slips. 

Worst than can happen is they enforce against you (wont happen), you appeal for free lose and then have to do it anyway.

Its a game your playing here, the rules of the game are not known to you yet.

• Like 2

My plans which are now in for my rebuild of the big house 

I have removed all chimneys  as there will be no fires of any kind in the house  

and am expecting same sort of silly nonsense from planning 

my first response will be that as I am bringing this house into the 21st century and not burning any fossil fuels or wood  then chimneys are pointless 

and  virtual certainty  to be a place to have water ingress into the building .

a vast expense to pull them down to rebuild  with trays in them  to stop this happening 

a cost which could very  well be the tipping point of going for a complete new build  against a tasteful refurbishment and keeping all exterior granite walls

and not keeping  any of the original features of the house

will just a very bland modern style building 

we will see what they say 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

My plans which are now in for my rebuild of the big house 

I have removed all chimneys  as there will be no fires of any kind in the house  

and am expecting same sort of silly nonsense from planning 

my first response will be that as I am bringing this house into the 21st century and not burning any fossil fuels or wood  then chimneys are pointless 

and  virtual certainty  to be a place to have water ingress into the building .

a vast expense to pull them down to rebuild  with trays in them  to stop this happening 

a cost which could very  well be the tipping point of going for a complete new build  against a tasteful refurbishment and keeping all exterior granite walls

and not keeping  any of the original features of the house

will just a very bland modern style building 

we will see what they say 

You could do some fake plywood ones for stack ventilation like Kevin McLoud did at Swindon.

Just don't put them 3 storeys up in the middle of a two-sided gable so you need some quite serious lifting gear or a big scaffold to repaint them ?

• Like 1

This mornings thoughts-

the plot is in a flood zone and the house has to be built with the finished floor level raised around 1.7m. There’s no mention on the elevations that passed  of what materials to be used. 

is it assumed to be brick? I would prefer raised piles :) not sure the approach for this-

BB260DFF-16D2-44A0-9EE2-E8FA9A990769.jpeg

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Make no assumptions!!!!,, tell them what you plan to do then wait while they tell you different.

There’s a few homes on raised galvanised  piles in the area- I’m not sure I need to tell them if they don’t ask? makes a much cheaper and easier build as well :) 

The area between the road entrance and the garage/parking shaded yellow will be built up. I just like the idea of split heights. 

5073EF37-116C-4880-8096-B908A648179B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

There’s a few homes on raised galvanised  piles in the area- I’m not sure I need to tell them if they don’t ask? makes a much cheaper and easier build as well :) 

Well if it’s not specified and it’s the “vernacular” where you live I would go fir it, a little risk ?‍♂️To be absolutely sure you would need the planners to sign off on it. I am surprised the planners have not asked/specified what is being used. Don’t forget building regs as well ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well if it’s not specified and it’s the “vernacular” where you live I would go fir it, a little risk ?‍♂️To be absolutely sure you would need the planners to sign off on it. I am surprised the planners have not asked/specified what is being used. Don’t forget building regs as well ?

i just dread having to go back to planners for everything. Building regs are cool, they’re letting me do it on a building notice not full submission- I deal with them weekly on site :) 

I don't understand this.

Is this a planning condition or building control?

The approved plans presumably show heights, they are usually datum heights versus sea level, not ground level.

The elevation pictures seem to show a house at ground level, I don't see how you can then just jack it up 1.7m in the air. If it is planning I assume that they expect the ground level to be increased as this is how it is shown on the elevations. A 1.7m increase in wall height would be a massive change versus the approved drawings.

I am fine with forgetting the chimney as suggested by others. Very little risk.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

Building regs are cool, they’re letting me do it on a building notice not full submission- I deal with them weekly on site

Personally I don’t like building notice, I have always gone full plans, I like to know exactly what’s required before I start.

1 hour ago, AliG said:

I don't understand this.

Is this a planning condition or building control?

The approved plans presumably show heights, they are usually datum heights versus sea level, not ground level.

The elevation pictures seem to show a house at ground level, I don't see how you can then just jack it up 1.7m in the air. If it is planning I assume that they expect the ground level to be increased as this is how it is shown on the elevations. A 1.7m increase in wall height would be a massive change versus the approved drawings.

I am fine with forgetting the chimney as suggested by others. Very little risk.

it’s in all the flood reports and topography map :) the passed plans only show the plinth above dpc. The plot is on the edge of the fens, sandwiched between an elevated road and an elevated railway line. 

this is a previous applications plan but gives an idea 

4FFD72F3-E596-425A-9D4A-A4733C626626.jpeg