Balustrade fixing ideas

I've got an in roof terrace/balcony thing going into my build - no plan other than the drawing.  Thought it was a nice idea, but struggling with thoughts on how to secure the frame and balustrading without puncturing the flat roof below.

So far we've built up the dormer opening and prepared the flat roofing, this will be covered and topped with a floating deck frame, which is likely to be aluminium or composite. 

Building control will be out after roofing so I will check with them, but in the meantime thoughts are eating away at me.

Now I'm not sure if I will need to secure the deck frame, if so, to what and how, whilst maintaining water tightness.

Next is the question of securing the balustrading all brackets I've seen involve attaching at the base, I dont think attaching to the floating deck would be sufficient to maintain safety.  So I'm thinking that securing to the masonry below the gutter would be better but am struggling to find brackets that are shaped in such a fashion to step out.

Wonder if anyone on here has any thoughts, come across this issue before?

image.png.fd3e3008f081347148a814ea4b7080df.png

image.png

There is a lot to consider here.  What is the floor finish?  Do you still propose to have roof tiles beneath as per the elevation?  I note that the roof battens don't look to be set out for this and the heads of the ground floor windows look lower as built than as designed.  You may find that a galvanised and powder coated steel frame could work to support any deck above the waterproofing and support the side and front balustrade.  This is probably the most complicated detail on your house so it needs to be properly designed.

A blacksmith or metal fabrication workshop may be able to make some bespoke railings that fix securely at the inboard end, but only need to rest on the surface at the outboard end - or maybe fix in a horizontal plane rather than a vertical plane.

Alternatively, same workshop could fabricate some brackets to achieve your first idea.

I am doing the same - glass clamp down and then fixed through the roofing.

What you do is use a rubber / bitumen sealer washer around each fixing which is then compressed as the bolt is secured. Done it in the past and it is fairly bombproof - 

IMG-20200716-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

I actually tried to delete the cartoon plan image as that's not how we've actually built it, I used a bit of creative license in construction you could say...  There are no tiles on the front of the terrace, just a flat roof with a fall into the gutter.  The ground floor windows look low but we've added a course or two above the soldiers, no heights mentioned or restrictions on our plans so the added ceiling height is nice. 

@Stewpot Like the idea of the outer posts 'floating' with the strength and rigidity coming from the inboard end.  I'll mention this to the BI when he visits and see how receptive they are to the idea.  This could also work with the deck frame that I will put on the waterproof layer below

@Faz  Thanks, gives me confidence, if the above idea doesnt pass muster.

I didn't want posts and spiders tbh so the bottom glass clamp was the answer.  I will be doing mine fairly soon and am in north Cambs - not far from Lincs if you wanted to have a look?