PoE CCTV Cameras

Hi

Has anybody got any recommendations for PoE cctv system

We want to install some now in our bungalow before the main renovations starts in a couple of years. I want to install some good ones now so I can re-use them in the future build

I like the idea of PoE cameras due to ease of install and reliability of signal etc..

Do they normally come as a kit? does the recorder produce the PoE or will i need a separate network switch

Thanks in advance

29 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Hi

Has anybody got any recommendations for PoE cctv system

We want to install some now in our bungalow before the main renovations starts in a couple of years. I want to install some good ones now so I can re-use them in the future build

I like the idea of PoE cameras due to ease of install and reliability of signal etc..

Do they normally come as a kit? does the recorder produce the PoE or will i need a separate network switch

Thanks in advance

You’ll need a poe switch though some recorders do provide it . You can’t go wrong with hikvision cameras . I’ve got 4 that have been recording continually to my Nas for a year now - no issues 

I've found HikVision to be reliable, and very easy to set up.

I have the DS-7716NI-K4 NVR, which is 4 years old now so may well have been replaced, and a range of 4Mb to 8Mb cameras. The 7700 Series NVR has space for 4 internal HDD. I think the 7600 is similar functionality, but only space for 2 HDD. It has an integral PoE Switch that makes the camera setup very plug-n-play. If you have any cameras over 100m from the NVR then you need a PoE Switch local to the camera.

There's lots of options for viewing the cameras live and recorded, either directly off the NVR with an attached screen, from PC/laptop via a web browser or phone/tablet via a few different Apps. 

There's probably too much choice in HikVision cameras, until you start to tune in on their model numbers and what it means. Definitely worth doing a plan view drawing of the property and work out where to best place the cameras, and what focal length lens is best for each position. Get the right camera for each location, even if that means waiting because something is not in stock.

I feel the IR distance is a bit optimistic, I suggest always going for the next up for what you think you need, ie go for the 80m if you want 50m of illumination and 50m if you want 30m.

Don't expect too much out of movement detection from the outside cameras, shadows from clouds and leaves will constantly give false positives. Much better to put PIRs nearby and use the alarm function on the NVR to then send you images from certain cameras when the PIR gets pinged. I use the same PIRs for cameras an outside flood lights.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, IanR said:

Don't expect too much out of movement detection from the outside cameras, shadows from clouds and leaves will constantly give false positives.

True .  But I find the masking option can reduce this a bit . I did try a hikvision dvr and wasn’t that impressed . If you have ( or will have ) a nas - I think better to use that . I am using the Synology dvr software ( but you pay per camera ? ) but will change to blue iris later …

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Actually would it be practical to run the dvr software on a virtual private server ? 

In the cloud? That's some serious upload bandwidth you'd need. Not practical for me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IanR said:

In the cloud? That's some serious upload bandwidth you'd need. Not practical for me.

Yeah . I was just wondering how feasible it would be . Also if cloud based vps are backed up I.e so you can access the backup . Save a big chunk of cash on hardware but to spend it on monthly storage/ cpu . 

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Also if cloud based vps are backed up I.e so you can access the backup . Save a big chunk of cash on hardware but to spend it on monthly storage/ cpu . 

It takes about 8TB to store a months worth of recording at mine (11 Cameras). That would start to become a high monthly cost to have that storage on a cloud server, depending on how long you want recordings kept for.

31 minutes ago, IanR said:

It takes about 8TB to store a months worth of recording at mine (11 Cameras). That would start to become a high monthly cost to have that storage on a cloud server, depending on how long you want recordings kept for.

True . But tbh 11 cameras at a lower frame rate would help . Also I can’t think of a reason why I’d want more than 2 weeks of recorded history I.e never away for more than 2 weeks . But otherwise for you it would be expensive 

A few random things I didn't realise before I bought my first cameras

• Like 1

Another vote for HikVision - as I have time and due to being impressed with their offering, I've now taken their installers courses.

There are three (or so) parts to consider:

1. Network - Goes without saying you'll need ethernet cable from a central switch to all cameras. The switch will need PoE and should be specced depending on the number of cameras and the associated power draw. Switch placement is crucial because all cables need to go back to it and it can then form part of a wider home networking plan. Also worth noting PoE switches will have a fan, which aren't that silent, so site carefully. Some HikVision DVR's will take care of PoE for you.

2. Cameras - There are many many HikVision cameras. I've found the whole range to do work extremely well and do exactly what it says on the tin. They are also very well catered for with their remote and cloud platforms (HikConnect). Fundamental choices are:

a) Fixed or variable focus - Choose based on the depth of field you need and whether this needs to cover a broad range

b) Low Light Technology - do you want Darkfighter (Infrered) or TrueColor (white LED) style night lighting

c) Resolution - the higher you go, the more storage you need, so think carefully about how many days you need to keep footage for and whether the cameras will be set to record all day or whether recording will be event-linked

d) Case - discreet dome, or bullet shaped etc.

e) IP rating - do they need to go outdoors etc.

f) other features e.g. audio etc.

3. Recording - you can make life easy and get access to all the features of the cams using a HikVision DVR, or you can opt for a more complex NAS style setup. There are pros and cons of each. The biggest factor would be whether you need a NAS anyway.

My advice would be that unless you're advanced or professional in IT, networks and cameras you might be best advised to stick with a DVR that takes care of the PoE as well. Setting up a NAS is not that easy and depending on the software you run, you may find you won't get all the native features of a HikVision Product unless you run a VM with Windows and iVMS4200 or similar.

Also, it may be worth getting a price for a professional install because Hikvision don't sell to the public so you'll pay a mark-up that may mean the additional cost of an installer is not as much as you think. 

Hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, Chef40 said:

Also worth noting PoE switches will have a fan, which aren't that silent, so site carefully. Some HikVision DVR's will take care of PoE for you.

I specifically used the modern net gear poe ones that don’t have a fan ( can dig up the exact model number ) only 24 ports . I daisy chain 3 together . Their power output can be increased simply by increasing the psu supplying it if you need more wattage .