Help with flooring joists

Greg Pins

Help. I’ve just moved into a new property and due to the age (only 5 years old) they have fit their camber flooring with glue not nails/screws. They floor boards squeak and I need to know where the joists are! I have been told a stud finder will work but I don’t see how it could as it would be already detecting the wooden flooring so how would it know where the joists are? Can anyone help me to find the joists. Thank you so much 

That sounds so annoying, I feel your pain! 

Most likely they mean there are posi-joists which have a metal element to them, so I guess it might be possible? Literally hit and miss though isn’t it.

In theory, you could find one or two, then figure out the spacing and predict the positions of the others. 

it’s a shame it’s out of warranty, but whoever built it could help you out too.

If you have downlights or extractor fans in the ceiling of the floor below you could drop one or two down to see which way the joists run and maybe get an idea of spacing.  Often they are at 600ctrs on house basher estates.

Get some decent chipboard floor screws like these: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Spax-Chipboard-Flooring-Screws---4-5-x-60mm-Pack-of-300/p/140812

Put in plenty on the boards the squeak.

8 hours ago, Greg Pins said:

they have fit their camber flooring with glue not nails/screws.

Well with my new build we glued all the boards down with no nails or screws and it’s fine so they obviously didn’t glue it correctly. Most older floors squeak because the boards shrink a bit and the board moves up and down the nail so tightening the nail often works. Yes most joists are at 600mm centres but not all (mine are at 400mm). You could always drill loads of small holes to find the joists then measure from that to find the rest.