Garage/Workshop specs

KTB

We have had a request from planning for further details on our proposed double garage/workshop. Has anyone got any advice re: what to include, so we don't have problems later in terms of space or functionality??

Was hoping for storage for 2 cars (with an electric charging point) and a workshop/store - Might be able to get 3 phase in there if I can twist Scottish Powers arms too. 

Cheers in advance 

If you're including a workshop, it will never be big enough. It simply won't.

But three phase sounds like a good idea for both car charging and workshop machinery. Have SP given you an idea of how much extra it might cost?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stewpot said:

But three phase sounds like a good idea for both car charging and workshop machinery. Have SP given you an idea of how much extra it might cost?

Yes, unofficially, and I have a relative who is a 'leccy so we can do it if given a chance.

Just now, Stewpot said:

I agree, be careful calling it a workshop if you are looking to claim the VAT back as workshops are not covered but garages are. Enough room to drive cars in AND open the doors, space to use workbench with the cars in it. Don’t forget all the other stuff that WILL end up in there. Lawnmowers, bikes, garden furniture, chest freezer, garden swing, buckets etc etc

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I agree, be careful calling it a workshop if you are looking to claim the VAT back as workshops are not covered but garages are. Enough room to drive cars in AND open the doors, space to use workbench with the cars in it. Don’t forget all the other stuff that WILL end up in there. Lawnmowers, bikes, garden furniture, chest freezer, garden swing, buckets etc etc

Thanks - Exactly the advice we need re: VAT reclaim, cheers. Will probably retro build a separate workshop now that we think of it.

• Like 1

@KTB, what kind of work is your workshop for?. I only ask because if you are doing woodwork (like me) having a large space is very helpfull with long lengths of timber, I simply pull the cars out to give me a big space to work, another small workshop would not work for me.!

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@KTB, what kind of work is your workshop for?. I only ask because if you are doing woodwork (like me) having a large space is very helpfull with long lengths of timber, I simply pull the cars out to give me a big space to work, another small workshop would not work for me.!

No woodworking - I wish !! I am purely a DIY enthusiast, who "potters around", so somewhere for all my kit and some benches will be fine.

• Like 1

My garage is 7.7 metres wide which would comfortably store 2 cars but not leave much room for workshop activities to the side. Go as large as you can would be my advice. What size and type of door(s) are you considering? 

1 hour ago, KTB said:

We have had a request from planning for further details on our proposed double garage/workshop. Has anyone got any advice re: what to include, so we don't have problems later in terms of space or functionality??

Was hoping for storage for 2 cars (with an electric charging point) and a workshop/store - Might be able to get 3 phase in there if I can twist Scottish Powers arms too. 

Cheers in advance 

You only need provide drawings and possibly details such as the materials and finishes. You don't need to tell them what it will be used for and I wouldn't.

Our mistake was to build a double garage as a single and lean to. It's effectively a double garage with wall down the middle and that wall takes up space I'd rather have for other things.

Garage.jpg.9e5417906b3e258eb3b8b74f8c053d54.jpg

• Like 1