Telehandler hire with operator

Mickyl

Hi. I hope someone can help me. I’m putting up an extension to the tear of my property and I have the roof trusses but Roofing guys say they need a a telehandler to lift the trusses into place.

The question I have is can anyone hire a telehandler? Will I need an operator? Will I need to get my own insurance. How long will i need it for? There are 30 trusses. 
the property is an old high ceiling Edwardian property so I’d need a 14m boom. I’m in the North East. Can anyone recommend a company who would hire Telehandlers to the public?

cheers

Can't help with local recommendations. You can hire them and you would need your own insurance. 

Having said this I'd strongly recommend getting someone in who has the tickets. At that reach, you need to know what you're doing and there are significant risks to the roofers when working at height. Having a novice swinging trusses around is not only risky, it will probably not work out cost effective. Someone who knows what they're doing will be far more efficient so you can hire the machine for a shorter period (and hence pay your roofers for a shorter period depending upon your arrangement with them).

I'm guessing you're referring to 14m lift height not reach. Here's an example of the kind of size telehandler you'd need https://www.ardenthire.com/plant-hire/telehandlers-and-forklift-hire/jcb-535-140/

Beware, they are big machines so when you say rear extension, what is access and turning space like to lift your trusses? Ardent hire have a depot up north but I'm not sure if it's up north east enough for you? They do operator and unit or unit only but you would need a credit account with them first, this can take some time with lots of checks. I think they even did a credit check on me when I set up an account. Some hire places can add on insurance but it's quite expensive usually at something like 12% of hire cost, other wise you can buy short term hire insurance from the likes of https://www.jcbinsurance.com/

Looking at it differently, you might be better off simply hiring a crane for half a day or a full day, that would come with an operator and wouldn't need the manouvering around site of a telehandler.

I wonder whether you'd benefit from posting some pictures of your site and posting a question here along the lines of how best to lift the trusses and see what suggestions come along? Loads of experience here with these sorts of problems.

HTH

• Like 1

Telehandler will cost you between £350-450 ex VAT a week for hire. Add in £100 or so each way for delivery and £150 for insurance. 

That’s about £1000 all in and you still have to know what you’re doing which needs skill which isn’t something you need to be learning with attic trusses at 8-10m up. 

That sort of money will easily pay for a day of an iron fairy or a 3t crane with operator and it will be much much safer. 

I recently  had very  similar quote for hire and delivery.

These are brilliant machines, and have replace cranes to a large extent because they can manoeuvre things like beams and trusses and hold them firmly in place.

Then they can sit holding the part while the driver does other work. If one of the contractors is ticketed to use the machine, then this is much cheaper than cranes.

However. They are difficult to operate. Example, because of the agreed late arrival of subcontractor, and a delivery to offload, we once hired a ticketed forklift driver. He couldn't work this machine though, and the lorry was not getting unloaded. Fortunately another subby, a groundworker who drove excavators, came to the rescue.

Moral: difficult to operate, so you need not just an operator with a ticket, but someone who has sed these machines before. Perhaps the hirer can help.

Also: they are big and heavy and on wheels. They can  tear up hardstandings.

This needs serious method discussions with the contractor.

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Telehandler will cost you between £350-450 ex VAT a week for hire. Add in £100 or so each way for delivery and £150 for insurance. 

That’s about £1000 all in and you still have to know what you’re doing which needs skill which isn’t something you need to be learning with attic trusses at 8-10m up. 

That sort of money will easily pay for a day of an iron fairy or a 3t crane with operator and it will be much much safer. 

this.

That’s great advice. Thanks for all the replies.

The reason I say i need a telehandler and not a crane is that the house sits back from a busy road with telegraph poles carry electric wires and large trees. It’s in a conservation area. I have very good access to the rear via the sides of the house which would easily accommodate a telehandler. 

1 hour ago, Mickyl said:

I have very good access to the rear via the sides of the house which would easily accommodate a telehandler. 

Lots of mini cranes out there that could get in there and would be physically smaller than your 14m telehandler.

When I faced a similar truss lifting challenge I used a local farmer/builder who does all the by-the-hour telehandler jobs locally. There are two driver+telehandler guys within a mile of me who are available for hire by the hour. Ask around at your local builders merchant or nearest farm, you might be surprised.

14m is a very high lift for a two story property. Your typical new build is < 5.5m from ground to wall plate. Are you expecting the telehandler to swing the trusses vertically into position? 

We used a telehandler, for the height mentioned would a mobile crane not be the better option?

Our joiner was known to the hire company and he was the operator. Our joiner said we needed a truss jib as well, that's the bit on the end.

It worked a treat for us, as we used it for a other jobs as well and had it for two weeks, I think it cost around £500+VAT.

P1150352.thumb.JPG.5f0694ec2ea2e886689463a186bbc355.JPG

22 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

When I faced a similar truss lifting challenge I used a local farmer/builder who does all the by-the-hour telehandler jobs locally. There are two driver+telehandler guys within a mile of me who are available for hire by the hour. Ask around at your local builders merchant or nearest farm, you might be surprised.

14m is a very high lift for a two story property. Your typical new build is < 5.5m from ground to wall plate. Are you expecting the telehandler to swing the trusses vertically into position? 

Yes. That would be the plan. The roofers are saying they cant do the job otherwise. Thanks for the advice 

On 20/08/2021 at 08:28, nod said:

There’s a quite a few on FB advertising 

Tele handler and man £350 for an eight hour day If you can find one reasonably local They will simply drive to your location 

Thanks I’ll give that a go. Cheers 

46 minutes ago, Mickyl said:

Yes. That would be the plan. The roofers are saying they cant do the job otherwise.

Have a look at the photos in my previous thread on this subject, in page 2 I uploaded some photos of a smaller (green) telehandler lifting trusses up about 6m.

My roofer (come general builder, come cattle herdsman, come suckling pig producer, come shepherd, come property developer, come reclamation yard entrepreneur) erected the trusses to the vertical after they had been lifted to wallplate height in a horizontal orientation as seen in the photos.

My main trusses were attic trusses so fairly heavy at about 75kg each, the pitch is 30 degrees and the clear span 5.6m. As a 3 man team we pivoted the trusses up to the vertical. On a larger house next door with a 40 degree pitch a 4 man team lifted larger but lighter fink trusses from ground level using just muscle power.

On 19/08/2021 at 22:34, SimonD said:

I'm guessing you're referring to 14m lift height not reach. Here's an example of the kind of size telehandler you'd need https://www.ardenthire.com/plant-hire/telehandlers-and-forklift-hire/jcb-535-140/

Beware, they are big machines so when you say rear extension, what is access and turning space like to lift your trusses? Ardent hire have a depot up north but I'm not sure if it's up north east enough for you? They do operator and unit or unit only but you would need a credit account with them first, this can take some time with lots of checks. I think they even did a credit check on me when I set up an account. Some hire places can add on insurance but it's quite expensive usually at something like 12% of hire cost, other wise you can buy short term hire insurance from the likes of https://www.jcbinsurance.com/

Looking at it differently, you might be better off simply hiring a crane for half a day or a full day, that would come with an operator and wouldn't need the manouvering around site of a telehandler.

I wonder whether you'd benefit from posting some pictures of your site and posting a question here along the lines of how best to lift the trusses and see what suggestions come along? Loads of experience here with these sorts of problems.

HTH

What he says!  I have an (in date) forks ticket and am an experienced telehandler driver - you do not want to be having a 'go' at this yourself. I thought about doing the main roof trusses and quickly thought better of it and got a crane in. Doing the quad garage trusses with the forks - bit tricky - just look at the reach on the boom for a single story garage....

20210820_084238.jpg

19 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

hope your insurance covers you for that risky manoeuvre. The scaffold alone is shocking.

Slingers course completed July 20, telehandler ticket valid to Oct 23. It will be fine mate.

Only problem with the scaffolding is that it is still there! Will be a milestone to get rid of all of that in 2 weeks time - beers will be had!!!

A while ago we hire a Merlo Rotating telehandler with rotating forks to load out plasterboard and insulation into a 4 storey terrace.  Once the operator and supplier got it working it was a fantastic bit of kit.  Pick up a pallet of boards, lift and rotate main body, then rotate forks so the boards can be easily dragged off the stack and into the units.

We had it for 2 days and loaded out about 30 tonnes.

• Like 1