6K PVs only generating 80W

gc100

Doesn't sound right to me, though depends how thick the cloud is I guess. Would have expected more than 1kW peak since install, I had that earlier and its not the brightest day up here, mines only 4kWp.

Can you contact the installer? Inverter settings all as they should be?

4 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Doesn't sound right to me, though depends how thick the cloud is I guess. Would have expected more than 1kW peak since install, I had that earlier and its not the brightest day up here, mines only 4kWp.

Can you contact the installer? Inverter settings all as they should be?

OK thanks.  Not contacted the electrician yet - it was producing about the same when he was here installing it (cloudy) as I mentioned it, and he said its normal - they need direct sunlight. I've just been out to the inverter and have seen that at some point since install its peaked at 3.2 KW but no idea when. I've since last night setup the app to view historical data and realtime so will have to keep an eye on it. Though I thought it would be generating something more like 600W on a cloudy day to pretty disappointed at the moment. Forecast is cloudy all week though!

Edited by gc100

Have you got any shading at all on any of the panels?

Whats your daily production values for the last few days? Friday I generated 17.28kWh

Yes, i would expect a good amount of W even on a cloudy day, you have 2kWp more than me. I couldn't tell you what mines producing at the moment, I need to connect it back to the internet after moving the switch the other day, thats a mission for tomorrow i think!

OK that doesn't sound too bad with poor sun amounts and losing Sun at 6pm (remember shading on even a single panel if they are all connected to a Single MPPT will kill the output on all, double MPPT will help keep this to a minimum, or solaredge to maximise each individual panel, but obviously i don't know your setup), keep an eye on it and see how it goes. You are quite a shallow angle too which might have a bearing on it, 30 degrees plus is much more favourable, and it can make quite a difference (as we experience in winter).

• Like 1

does sound low to me, i have 3.885 of PV and its been grey all week, still made 6.4kwh today though. 

Could be a string of them is not working giving the poor results ? Can you login to the inverter and see each panel ?

Capture.JPG

Edited by Dave Jones

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Is this 6kW on a single inverter with no optimisation ..? If so, really poor design as that will not give you a decent peak figure especially at 19°

What was its output calculated at..?

Yes it’s a single inverter - fronius primo 5.0

I don’t think there was any ‘design’ - materials was just supplied as a system.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

does sound low to me, i have 3.885 of PV and its been grey all week, still made 6.4kwh today though. 

Could be a string of them is not working giving the poor results ? Can you login to the inverter and see each panel ?

Capture.JPG

I only made 1.1kw today .

norfolk. 
56778361-32FF-4D12-AF46-5C970A10F451.thumb.jpeg.46491abf57c95b1eaf2cce9429a3d1ca.jpeg

Edited by gc100

So been looking into this more. I have 2 strings of 9x325W panels connected to the inverter. However each string is mostly only generating 70V unless it's really sunny . Looking at the VI curves for the panels they should be generating around 300V per string even with very little light:

898201913_Screenshot2021-08-24at13_40_02.png.e351756dce8a37e24d37a6907cb050ed.png

So I should be having around 300V per string which I'm a long way off.

Here is what I'm getting for example:

97247088_Screenshot2021-08-24at13_37_55.thumb.png.0b9eb036349fe3094a13adba4538315c.png

You can see the voltage sits around 70V most of the day. My inverter has a min feed-in voltage of 80V so won't even be generating anything. 

Note there is also the weird voltage spike at the end of the day - I can only put that down to the voltage potential across the string as the amps drops down/up from zero.

Does anyone have any idea?

Something I notice is  when the voltage is low the realtime Amps seems to oscillate  between 3A and zero between the 2 strings backwards and forwards, like a sin wave. So one will be 3A and the other 0A, then both 1.5A and then 0A and 3A over the course of say 6 seconds.

Some other days:

1309243194_Screenshot2021-08-24at13_48_14.thumb.png.ca63caa8df7180d68276e02b986239f8.png

1739332327_Screenshot2021-08-24at13_48_42.thumb.png.c81e6622c909dfa8a54d469039b70d4d.png

Edited by gc100

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Try taking thermal photos of  the panels and the various gubbins, and see if anything is seriously overheating.

It has to be going somewhere if the energy is coming in.  

i don’ t have a thermal camera unfortunately. It’s a weird one for sure. 

• Like 1