Quinetic Switches

PeterW

Ours have been installed for a month or two now, and work brilliantly.  Makes me wish we'd opted for loop in ceiling rather than loop in switch, as they make a loop in ceiling lighting circuit really easy, as you just fit the supply cable in the ceiling and fit the remote switch boxes wherever you want to switch a light.  The only slight issue is making sure you have access to them, but for us, where we're controlling different downlights with them, it works very well, as it's easy to access the remote switches through the downlighter holes.  One nice feature is that they have proper protection over the terminals, which is more than can be said for the Byron/HomeEasy units.  I'm not convinced that the latter complied with the regs, as they had what amounted to a chocolate block connector with no protection over the screw holes.

I see them primarily as a route out of chasing where someone wants an extra switch etc and doesn't want the existing decor damaged, has made a cock up etc. Or a useful addition to say a special location like a bathroom rather than a pull cord.  Again say you fancy a switch by an existing window so you stand and look out & switch on an outside light.

The range needs extending. The bfo white ones scream Part M and they don't do the dimmer switches in the chrome finish, ditto the IP6* ones. Chrome, IP6* dimmers next to the bath/in the shower would be great.

The terminals, I think they're cheap. Would have been so much better with the constant force type sprung  connectors on the Aurora Enlite stuff. Also a little recess on the case moulding to gauge the insulation length to strip would have been a nice touch (like on the Wagos).

Fitting mine fully accessible. Switches on back boxes rather than screwed to the wall. Modules can be binned if they go t!ts up and all easily converted to traditional fixed wiring.

I've said before, half in jest that I wonder how the receiver modules would fair against an overvoltage. Knowing how the Chinese plan 50 years ahead I've this conspiracist theory that we'll fill our ceilings with this stuff and a while after they've taken over all our utilities... :(

Btw I'm in a sh!t mood and have a headache so...

27 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Have we missed the positive ending @Onoff?

Am I coming across a bit negative? :)

I could do with a "win" at the moment. Swapped alcohol for Ibuprofen of late. Thing I felt better on the sauce. Going cold turkey and cutting out caffeine at the same time probably not the best idea! 

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

I could do with a "win" at the moment. Swapped alcohol for Ibuprofen of late. Thing I felt better on the sauce. Going cold turkey and cutting out caffeine at the same time probably not the best idea! 

Someone on here noted from some of my posts that I was drinking lots of tea (a consequence of having a boiling water tap that makes it too easy to just make loads of cups during the day).  I stopped drinking tea, with the exception of one cup with breakfast, and felt really bloody awful for a couple of weeks.  The only thing that made sense was that I was suffering from caffeine withdrawal.  Although tea has only roughly half the caffeine of coffee, I was probably drinking ten or twelve mugs a day, which meant I was probably taking over 900mg/day of caffeine.  The "safe" limit  that seems to be recommended is around 400mg/day, but it seems I'm more sensitive to the stuff than that, and get irritable, have stomach upsets and suffer from mood swings on a lower daily intake. 

Stopping drinking loads of tea every day, and cutting right back on my alcohol intake did cause me a fair few unpleasant side effects, but now, many months later, I feel a lot better each day and tend to stay far more level-headed than I used to.

I've also found Ibuprofen to be a cause of stomach upsets and mood swings.  I was taking them like smarties to ease the pain and inflammation from buggered knees and a persistent shoulder problem (still on the waiting list to get the thing fixed).  Switching to using Diclofenac ointment (Voltarol) eased that, although it doesn't seem as effective as Ibuprofen or the Naproxen I had on prescription (Naproxen really did have nasty side effects for me, even when taken with Omeprazole to try and control the stomach problems).

I've come around to the view that the fewer drugs we take the better, as a general principle, and that includes caffeine and alcohol. 

I drink red bush tea first thing which is naturally caffeine free, but, I have turned into a coffee addict, it’s all to do with my taste buds being knackered by radiotherapy, I hate drinking water and coffee is the only thing (apart from white wine!) that satisfies my thirst. I know coffee de hydrates you. 

Interesting programe on tv last night about people being addicted to opiates.

Edited by joe90

I have to admit that if I get a catalogue now I rarely read from cover to cover.

These Quinetic modules that fit an MK grid caught my eye:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUGDMK.html?

No idea how long they've been available!

Can't be long before Quinetic offer these as a dimmer, in black etc. Gives some more traditional looking options with brass, stainless plates.

• 1 month later...

Now I love Quinetic but where on TLC's website does it say that the IP67 switches can be used for dimming?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUWP1.html?

Well, HERE:

Who knew? Just use the appropriate receiver module. Just trying to grow the balls to plastic prime and spray one with chrome effect paint.

QUWP_Instructions.pdf

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
18 hours ago, Onoff said:

Had my first Quinetic switch fail yesterday. 1 gang of a 2 gang switch. It clicks etc like normal but won't pair or make any sign of communicating with the 6A receiver. 

New switch fitted.

Was that one of the IP-rated switches ..? I’ve not had any fail for 2 years so interested as to the life. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Was that one of the IP-rated switches ..? I’ve not had any fail for 2 years so interested as to the life. 

One of the white, non IP rated ones. Fitted just outside the bathroom. Around July 2019 I reckon I fitted it. I don't think 2 1/2 years is very good tbh. 

At the time you could only get the IP rated ones in grey. Got a 2 gang one of those next to the bath , still going strong.