Rafter Ties

Hi 

Just noticed that there are no rafter ties holding the roof to the wall header.  I now can not install then due to insulation being fitted.

Can I use Builders Band to do it at intervals where marked in yellow or something else or do i need to do anything

thanks

IMG_0712.JPG

11 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Have they not used truss clips?  Maybe on the outside of the wall plate?  Find out from the timber frame company.  This is their responsibility.

They have not used them we made the frame ourselves and there is a long story about it for another time.

Was going to use the attached and using twisty nails to nail it to the wall and the truss where it goes up at an angle

60768.jpg

19 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

They have not used them we made the frame ourselves and there is a long story about it for another time.

Was going to use the attached and using twisty nails to nail it to the wall and the truss where it goes up at an angle

60768.jpg

You will need to ask Building Control if that would be acceptable.  You may also need to submit calcs for the timber frame.

Think your going to have to use wall plate straps. The builders band is no where near strong enough to keep your roof attached to the walls. It's only a few bits of insulation to take out. Lucky it's been found now and not after it's been plastered up.

18 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Think your going to have to use wall plate straps. The builders band is no where near strong enough to keep your roof attached to the walls. It's only a few bits of insulation to take out. Lucky it's been found now and not after it's been plastered up.

The photo is just a small part of it is massive but at least some of the roof is in a portal frame so no need to do it there.  I think but would need to look to see if they have nailed them to the header.

Have mailed my Architect he does not seem concerned in using the band on every truss

Edited by GrantMcscott

Just read NHBC guide and as the roof has no to little uplift as there is no soffits outside.

From NHBC Site

Where trussed rafter roofs are not subject to uplift, a minimum of two 4.5mm x 100mm galvanized round wire nails, skew nailed, one on each side of the trussed rafter, or truss clips (fixed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions) are acceptable.

3 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

Just read NHBC guide and as the roof has no to little uplift as there is no soffits outside.

What pitch is the roof?

I ask because lift can occur at the ridge, hips and other parts of the roof due to aerodynamic lift.

2 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

Hi it is 41 degrees

Ok. A low pitched roof (below 30 degrees) is more prone to lift but vorticies can form in unexpected locations due to aerodynamic lift. It would be wrong to think that the only danger of a roof lifting off is the wind catching effect of a soffit.

Edited by epsilonGreedy