Mould in loft space

Hi all,

Our loft has issues with mould. We had some tile vents fitted to try and increase air flow and prior to this tried to increase airflow using lap vents you can push between the felt. I think the issue was made worse when a few years back we increased insulation up to 300mm. 

My question is where do I go from here? Do I reduce insulation? How do I go about improving airflow from this point onwards? All the roofers I’ve had quote seem to want to charge the earth for redoing work which I don’t think is required. 

Sorry about the dead pigeon on the image. It’s the last one I have to show the tile vent. We have 4 on each side and one extra for bathroom extractor. I don’t think they do much in the way of providing ventilation personally and I wasn’t happy with the work done as they didn’t fit neatly and had to be glued down as the chap said the profile of the roof tile was smaller due to age.CE3E6488-BBFC-4D3C-A98C-B9C1AB5C4954.thumb.jpeg.988742cb48cd898742a315642217692c.jpeg

075BC363-51DC-4012-89B0-2F0C6C65909D.jpeg

Tile vents allow air over the felt but not really through the loft.

I am guessing the extra insulation is stuffed right  into the eaves and therefore blocking airflow.

you don’t need to reduce insulation thickness, just pull it back a bit to allow air to flow again.

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

We had a similar problem after increasing the insulation thickness.

I fitted a similar eaves prodict to leave a gap between the insulation and underside of felt.

Additionally, my spark fitted a 100mm extractor fan with humidistat in the gable.

7 years ago and now as dry as a bone