Site Address

If your accommodation during the build is, for example, a caravan, and is your main residence, what do you do about an address? Presumably 'Land Adjacent to the Village Green' is not really suitable. Do you need something official for, say, driving licences, tax returns, etc? Can you register the address of the site before building commences? Do you actually need to register the name at all, or could it be just a question of putting up a name board?

I would try the council naming dept as they have to approve names to get them onto the post office database. See if they will let you do that now.

We didn't live on site but frequently had vat receipts sent to the delivery address instead of our rental,  so we put up a post box on the fencing. The postman probably found it easier to find "Land south of the church" than our final official address. Even now PayPal and Amazon have "(house on right of church)" in the address field to try and avoid problems.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

You could do worse than choose the name for your new house, and put up a sign on a pole with it in big letters.

Then use that.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

This is not a definite plan yet, but living on site is beginning to look like a sensible option.

Once a name gets attached to a house it is an absolute b*gg*r to get it changed ime. Take care.

Mine is called I think Hillcrest or something, and it's like Dunroamin' - you expect anyone living there to have a Dachshund and furry slippers, and a traditional bird-bath, grow Hybrid-T Roses, and make their butter into curls.

I keep swatting it, but it keeps coming back like a Parking Warden.

( @canalsiderenovation should call their boat NOT-Dunroamin' )

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Once a name gets attached to a house it is an absolute b*gg*r to get it changed ime. Take care.

Mine is called I think Hillcrest or something, and it's like Dunroamin' - you expect anyone living there to have a Dachshund and furry slippers, and a traditional bird-bath, grow Hybrid-T Roses, and make their butter into curls.

I am going through minor agonies trying to think of a name for the place. In fact I think it's probably a good thing to choose something fairly banal, because after all, I hope that the place will be occupied long after I'm done with it, and so choosing something personal or characterful may seem rather stupid in 100 years time. I'd stop short of Dunroamin (or Dunpayin), but actually I think there is something to be said for something as bland as Hillcrest (perhaps it would be better for a house at the bottom of a valley).

I did think of Hare's Wood, or variations on that theme, which apparently is a translation of my surname. But I doubt I'll ever see a hare there, so it'll be meaningless for future residents. Burn Bank is the obvious and banal option, since it is beside a burn. A friend suggested Burn Banks, as she is a little antiestablishment, and I'm tempted to add a little 'the' between the two words on the actual name board. Given the way my bank is treating me at the moment, it's top of the list.

We applied to the council for our name early... have had it for at least three months now, and still not started on site, except for services.  Turned out electricity and water like names when you come to get your services installed. 

• Thanks 1