satellite broadband

Dianne

Hi everyone.

our new property has a very basic broadband connection and fibre isnt availabe, having teenagers in the house we really need decent broadband, has anyone had any experience of satellite broadband or know if its actually available,

thanks.

Hi Dianne, I looked into it a few years ago (before 4G was available) and while the installation costs were expensive, but doable, the per Mb costs were prohibitive.

+1 for a 4G home broadband router.

If you can get a decent Three signal, for £20 a month I get unlimited 50-90Mb/s download with a very respectable 40Mb/s upload.

Edited by IanR

1 hour ago, Dianne said:

Thanks folks, I,ve just discovered the 4g mobile router I,ll have a look at that it looks like it could be our solution,

thanks again.

You will almost certainly have a hotspot router on your phone. Try that out first.

Hi Dianne

We use a 4G connection in our rental house, while building, and it works very well, very fast and much better than the BT landline equivalent.

We have Vodafone unlimited 4g+ for £26 a month, but I think most mobile companies now offer an unlimited SIM. We regularly connect at 100mbits, but we are close to a town.

I agree, try the speed on your phone and see what you might be able to get. It would be worth spending a little more money for an LTE+ router,  but only if your phone suggests you can get a fast connection where you live.

If a 4G router doesn’t work out then having a look at Starlink (https://www.starlink.com/) - its a satellite broadband company run by Elon Musk/SpaceX based off of Satellite in low earth orbit (vs the more traditional geostationary orbit) so you get a connection as good as/better than fibre. At £89/mo + £500 setup its not cheap though!

It’s also not available everywhere in the UK yet, they’re rolling it out to everywhere this year. I’ve signed up as I’m lucky to get 10mbps from Fibre, and less than 1mbps on 4G (if I can even get signal!).

13 hours ago, Soulfish said:

If a 4G router doesn’t work out then having a look at Starlink (https://www.starlink.com/) - its a satellite broadband company run by Elon Musk/SpaceX based off of Satellite in low earth orbit (vs the more traditional geostationary orbit) so you get a connection as good as/better than fibre. At £89/mo + £500 setup its not cheap though!

Starlink deserves a mention in this thread but one thing that might irk the Passiv House self build enthusiasts is the 100 watt consumption of the control box + dish even when the system is idle.

• Like 1