Renovation - Newbie Help

Hi

In the next year or so we will begin a major renovation/extension on our bungalow

I am an electrician (industrial) by trade and dealt with cat 5/RJ45/Data cabs etc a little bit in the past.

I have read on the forum and tried to work out what I will require

I was thinking 2 x data points to each bedroom(likely TV locations), 4 data points to main tv point

I would like to install wired CCTV so cable to each camera point (can any recommend a wired CCTV system with nice looking cameras?)

I also thought about WIFI extender or something like that to make sure the whole house is covered...what hardware would I need for this?

Would you wire everything back to a central point, patch panel for each cable and then a switch? How would a sky router link into a network switch? Would I need sky to install phone/tv/boardband point in the same location as patch panel?

I would like to incorporate home automation in the renovation like door bell, heating control, lights etc but would like all be controlled over wifi?

Is there anything else anyone would recommend? Sorry for the simple questions but I want plan exactly what I need as early as possible

Many Thanks

I was thinking 2 x data points to each bedroom(likely TV locations), 4 data points to main tv point

Include cables for WIFI access points

I would like to install wired CCTV so cable to each camera point (can any recommend a wired CCTV system with nice looking cameras?)

I would go for IP cameras for CCTV - so just run network cables to these

I also thought about WIFI extender or something like that to make sure the whole house is covered...what hardware would I need for this?

For wifi, go with a mesh rather than an extender - I use the ubiquiti stuff, these run on POE, so will need a switch that can supply that to the required standard

Would you wire everything back to a central point, patch panel for each cable and then a switch?

Yes

How would a sky router link into a network switch?

Your router's LAN connection can just be connected to one of the ports on your switch

Would I need sky to install phone/tv/boardband point in the same location as patch panel?

In an ideal world, your BT master socket would be in the central location (node 0), if that isn't possible, I would probably aim to have your ISP router connected to the master socket with a network cable back to your switch.

• Like 1

+1

I used Hikvision wired POE cameras, each on its own cable back to a hub in the loft that supports POE to power them. I also have a server on the same hub so not all the  camera traffic goes over the main house network. If you go a similar route note that with some hubs only half the ports support POE so worth checking before you buy.

I had lot of issues getting motion detection working reliably, typically I got too many false triggers due to wind moving tree branches, spiders, moths etc. If I turned down the sensitivity it missed people walking about. So I've ended up recording pretty much everything on the server.  In an ideal world I would have seperate IR illuminators so spiders aren't attracted to the camera and PIR sensors connected to the system to trigger recording... but perhaps that's overkill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Ubiquiti networking gear. I changed out my mix of wifi routers and AP's for Ubiquiti UDM Pro and Wifi6 AP's and in 4 months I've never had an issue and coverage and wifi speed is astonishing compared to what I was getting with my old stuff.

As above, install Cat6 everywhere you think you may need to connect something up. Don't limit yourself to just main areas but include places like the loft too, especially as this is where you're likely to have your CCTV camera connections.

On home automation, take a look at Loxone. As you're an electrician installing Loxone should be a doddle for you. As a Loxone partner I can source anything you need.