Reduced height kitchen units

Andy P

We are starting to look at different options for a kitchen in our TF new build.  At our last house we had part of our island as a reduced height (work height approx 76cm vs 92cm standard) which was done bespoke .  We are keen to repeat that and were wondering if anyone else has done so and what their experience was.  I have seen that DIY Kitchens offer a reduced height option but can see on other forums here that there is a fair bit of negative feedback on them as well as positives. Nolte state in their brochure that they offer a range of heights but not specifically that they can accommodate what we need so we are contacting the local dealer.  And I think I have seen elsewhere that Howdens may offer something.  The other idea we have is to get our builder to make something but we’ll then need to look at how we match the door/drawer finish to the rest of the kitchen which could be a problem.  

Order drawerline units and then remove the tops carefully with a decent sharp fine tooth saw. You will need to reinforce the top of the frames with the bars you remove. Also worth stabilising the top of the chipboard with some epoxy resin or quick set araldite.  

• Like 1

Depends how low you want it, when I fitted my Sisters kitchen (she is vertically challenged ?) I lowered one section by cutting the kickboard in half and used blocks not standard legs, she tells me it works well. Can’t do it if white goods are involved in that section.

• 3 weeks later...

You can ask kitchen companies about their accessible kitchens (for wheelchair users) which are lower. You'll find some companies will be to afraid to say they don't cater for wheelchair users and try and work something out for you.

I know Ikea do lower base kitchen cabinets but don't know about other DIY companies. This is 60cm high so include the 8cm plinth and say 4cm for the worktop you're at 72cm tall.

ikea.jpg.a62dd7bd8a0b0588805d7d6892724eab.jpg

We have just chopped standard height units down to a bespoke height (knee level) for sitting the washing machine machine/tumble dryer on to. Pretty simple but the section below will be open for baskets. Units from diy kitchens. I also seen diy had lower legs available.

I reduced part of my sisters kitchen that I fitted, no machines in that obviously, but she is on the sort side so I cut the feet in half and the kickboard. She tells me many of her (short) friends have commented that it was good. My grans kitchen had a lower surface, slate, to roll pastry on.

Following with interest. One kitchen designer we consulted said that he can reduce the height all around our U shape kitchen and that included a dishwasher. My only reservation is that a tradesperson told us that his gran has a reduced height kitchen and it "looks weird" :( Would the market value of the house be reduced?

I don't really want an island even though we have plenty of room for one. I have heard many people say that get fed up bumping into them and that they reduce the "flow" in the kitchen. An island would, however, be perfect for setting at a reduced height. Decisions, decisions.........

13 minutes ago, patp said:

Following with interest. One kitchen designer we consulted said that he can reduce the height all around our U shape kitchen and that included a dishwasher. My only reservation is that a tradesperson told us that his gran has a reduced height kitchen and it "looks weird" :( Would the market value of the house be reduced?

I don't really want an island even though we have plenty of room for one. I have heard many people say that get fed up bumping into them and that they reduce the "flow" in the kitchen. An island would, however, be perfect for setting at a reduced height. Decisions, decisions.........

Places like Ikea do wooden utility trolleys including drawers and shelves etc which are very good small "islands" on wheels.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vesken-shelf-unit-white-40307866/

They are called things like FORHOJA !! (which is what small boys shout in Sweden where we shout GERONIMO whilst jumping 4ft down a sand dune) and BROR (which is part of the Swedish for Brer Rabbit, Brer Rabbit being a not very tastefully named Swedish sex-toy.).

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Places like Ikea do wooden utility trolleys on wheels which are very good small "islands" on wheels.

They are called things like FOYHOJA !! (which is what small boys shout in Sweden where we shout GERONIMO whilst jumping 4ft down a sand dune) and BROR (which is part of the Swedish for Brer Rabbit).

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vesken-shelf-unit-white-40307866/

That is exactly what my daughter suggested. A unit on wheels. I thought too, of a Butchers Block on wheels. We are off to see an independent kitchen designer tomorrow. He, apparently, loves to give his customers all the little things that they desire in their kitchen.  https://www.wentwoodkitchens.co.uk/

19 minutes ago, patp said:

On the reduced height kitchen, I thought that most "feet" are adjustable, and these days a new set of plinths for when you sell it would cost very little.

Could you perhaps slice them 1/3:2/3 so you can make it more normal-height when you come to sell the place? 

I bet my Ikea one is a smaller quantity of spondulicks.

That plus a new bead of silicon on the wall at the back of the worktop. The old one won't show as it would be hidden.

Probably just needs some reasonably careful thinking about detail to make that doable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, patp said:

That is exactly what my daughter suggested. A unit on wheels. I thought too, of a Butchers Block on wheels. We are off to see an independent kitchen designer tomorrow. He, apparently, loves to give his customers all the little things that they desire in their kitchen.  https://www.wentwoodkitchens.co.uk/

The Ikea ones slide neatly under the worktop if you leave a void.

Too high for your reduced-height Gran - trim the legs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, patp said:

Of course we should not dwell too much on re sale as I am sure I heard that no matter the spec of a kitchen most people rip them out and re fit after they buy a house.

I was told exactly this when I sold a house, “I am going to fit a new kitchen” I said “don’t waste your money or time” the estate agent said!