Large quote poor job

Jonny1974

Leak in roof required repair. I requested quotes for lead flashing to waterproof area. Instructed a nice roofer who had provided a large quote (£1200-1500) and therefore expected a premium service.

They took just 2 hours (no scaffolding) to install a product called Leadax and the job looks appalling. Roof still leaks, no step flashing on side profiles, gap still in one corner and creased throughout. This job has not met our expectations and we are refusing to pay. Will contact another roofer to complete the job to a higher specification.

I'm I being to fussy? Is this the normal standard of installation provided by reputable roofers? Please look at the pics below (sorry for the poor resolution). Seems a lot of money for 2 hrs work.

408868428_rearroof.jpg.907b814cd11c3a7e6cceba4318293921.jpg747959588_frontroof.thumb.jpg.62c79f6d5bc53508d3c936bdf09484bc.jpg

That’s a complete rip off. Your quote should have specified what they were going to do (replace lead etc). Get someone to give a proper quote and say it’s not done properly then send a copy to the cowboy. I hope you have not paid yet?

Edited by joe90

Thank you all for confirming my fears. To put you all at ease, I've not paid a penny and have made my thoughts very clear.

He is now asking for £400 (£200 installation plus £200 removal labour costs), "don't worry mate, I'll cover the cost of the materials".

32 minutes ago, Jonny1974 said:

Thank you all for confirming my fears. To put you all at ease, I've not paid a penny and have made my thoughts very clear.

He is now asking for £400 (£200 installation plus £200 removal labour costs), "don't worry mate, I'll cover the cost of the materials".

I was concerned you had already paid, tell him you will accept £200 for the shoddy job you need to put right

• Like 1

someone said looks like you got a local cowboy sorry but they are all cowboys.they are either busy ripping off someone else or they are quoteing you mega bucks in the hope that you will be the next sucker on the list. to rip off .builders  roofers  carpenters  plumbers not to mention patio and landscapers.seriously hacked off with the lot of them.

19 minutes ago, tillywiz said:

someone said looks like you got a local cowboy sorry but they are all cowboys.they are either busy ripping off someone else or they are quoteing you mega bucks in the hope that you will be the next sucker on the list. to rip off .builders  roofers  carpenters  plumbers not to mention patio and landscapers.seriously hacked off with the lot of them.

Whilst I agree there are lots of cowboys there are good builders out there (but I am retired ?). My main contractor and his guys were very good on my build, can’t fault their work.

51 minutes ago, tillywiz said:

Can't generalise all construction workers as bad just like construction workers can't tarnish all clients as bad and trust me there are as many bad clients out there as there are builders.

You just got to do proper due diligence and have proper communication but I suppose you can still be unlucky on both sides of the fence.

hi joe so are we 70 and 75  my dad was a civil engineer and his generation had morals but i think my sons agegroup were the last group to know right from wrong now it seems right is what they want for themselves and wrong is what the customer wants the so called builder who came on recomend as a good worker etc from the architect services felt he  did not have to work took £4000 deposit of use for as he put it to get the best price for materials .It turned out the vat were at him and our money was used for his overdue vat bill.then came the excuses for days where he did not turn up twice his mother died you would have thought he would have remenbered that one.when the celotex insulation was in short supply we had to hire a vehicle and drive round to collect the required quantity but he sat on his arse not even so much of a thankyou for going.when he finished our jub he had the cheat to steal the extra sheets from the shed while we were walking the dogs.he called himself a carpentry service  i do better with my chisels than he did.as for comunication he would ask me something and if he did not like the answer he would ask the other half ,if that was not what he wanted to hear he would then just please himself.as for the other trades i could write a book about them.

@tillywiz, sorry you had such a bad experience, yes there are cowboys out there, I was simply saying not all trades people are bad but the good ones are hard to find. My builder is booked for the next two years and because he is so good customers are willing to wait.

we are in somerset but round this neck of the woods the ones who are working few and far between seem to spend more time driving around to pick up gear rather than actualy doing anything .i guess to time is not on our side.

Did they turn up on a horse?

In all seriousness you often find roles reversed now. Plain tatty van could just as easily be top tradesman a lot if cowboys now have the signwritten vans, 0800 is a red flag as is we do- followed by every trade.