Pumping station - noise and odour?

WWilts

I have mine just 4 metres from the back door. Not ideal but that's the best I could do.

I've never notice any smell coming from it although it is ventilated much further away.

Practically silent when pumping, however when the pump stops there is some water hammer that reverberates through the soil pipes into the house. I'm hoping this will improve when soil pipes are properly insulated and toilets and water traps in place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willbish said:

when the pump stops there is some water hammer that reverberates through the soil pipes into the house.

Looked into this. Apparently it is the non return check valve closing loudly. There are soft close versions available, it appears. Hope to find a reliable one.

4 hours ago, willbish said:

I have mine just 4 metres from the back door. Not ideal but that's the best I could do.

Did you have to get any sign off for having it that close? I think the regs here in Scotland say that it has to be 7 meters from the house. We may have similar issue.

Mine is approx 5 metres from the house and has been in for just over a year and is located in / under the lawn. I have never heard it running and there is absolutely no smell coming from it. The drain run is ventilated with a soil / vent pipe at the house. The holding tank is approx 1000 litres so it only pumps once about every 2 or 3 days. The 'contents' travel about 80 metres to a sewer connection. No specific sign off was required. (in England).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Did you have to get any sign off for having it that close? I think the regs here in Scotland say that it has to be 7 meters from the house. We may have similar issue.

The regs in England don't specify a distance.  Some you can install indoors!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Neil said:

The holding tank is approx 1000 litres so it only pumps once about every 2 or 3 days. The 'contents' travel about 80 metres to a sewer connection

Comforting to hear that these are known to work well.

What diameter of discharge pipe does yours use? 63mm or 90mm? It seems that enlarging the discharge pipe diameter beyond a point can be counter-productive

2 hours ago, WWilts said:

Looked into this. Apparently it is the non return check valve closing loudly. There are soft close versions available, it appears. Hope to find a reliable one.

Thanks for that I had been wondering. It's 5 to 10 seconds of hammer, unlikely to occur in the middle of the night but even then I doubt it will disturb.

1 hour ago, WWilts said:

What diameter of discharge pipe does yours use?

63mm up and in to the inspection chamber which is just a couple of metres and then standard soil pipe down and away.

Wouldn't like to open the I/C when the pump is running! 

63mm MDPE is a beast to work with. Ended up capping and filling with boiling water to get it malleable enough to wrestle were I needed it to go.

Edited by willbish
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, willbish said:

63mm up and in to the inspection chamber which is just a couple of metres and then standard soil pipe down and away.

Wouldn't like to open the I/C when the pump is running! 

63mm MDPE is a beast to work with. Ended up capping and filling with boiling water to get it malleable enough to wrestle were I needed it to go.

agree with both!

Have to make sure you have a good sealed lid on the chamber or it will lift it off.

We had 12m of 63mm to lay and as you say its not a pleasant job. 

15 hours ago, willbish said:

It is a job best done in the summer.  We laid 65m of 90mm on a job.  It took a few days to coerce it into its final resting place!